9 March, 1942

The Nurses Home
General Hospital, Nottingham

9 / 3/ 42

My dear Stan,

Thank you for your last letter.  I was pleased to hear that you had succeeded in postponing your leave.  You know Stan, it was a good job really that I did not have this week-end off as I am just back on duty after being off sick for a few days.  It was nothing much – just a boil on my wrist.

I hope you will excuse this awful paper – not very elegant is it?  I came on duty without mine having a few minutes to spare I decided to answer your letter, so had to tear some paper out of the back of the treatment book.  I suppose a letter on this paper is better than none at all.

By the way, you must not worry yourself about my getting into trouble with Matron.  I shall not do that, she is really quite reasonable and always looks at both sides of every story.  I am pleased to say that I have definitely got the 22nd – 26th but it starts on Sunday and I might have a lecture on Monday night.  If I can get excused from it I shall but as I take my medical exam at the beginning of April, Sister might not be willing to excuse it.

I am working on a men’s convalescence ward.  Sister put me here after being off sick, as she thought it would be easier for me.  Rather considerate all at once!  I have asked to go back on my own ward though.  The nurse that I am working with at present is dreadfully lazy.  She just sleeps and sleeps, so really I do not find it any easier.  The men are pretty decent and give out the breakfast things and collect bowls, etc. for me.  They are mostly army and air force, so I have come to the conclusion that we have some pretty good stuff in the services.  I pull their legs unmercifully but they can take it.  I have promised to lend them a cap and apron when they are doing odd jobs for me, can you imagine it?  I have to laugh when I think of one particular big soldier with an apron and little cap stuck on his head.  One of them actually tried to push me around the ward on the breakfast trolley but he only got me as far as the ward door, I am sure I would have died of shame if he had got me in the ward sat on the trolley.

I had better stop talking shop though and enquire how you are progressing during the absence of your senior officer, or does he not go until the 12th?  I cannot quite remember. 

Do you know, Stan, I cannot remember whether I congratulated you on getting your new stripe.  My memory!  Really it is disgusting of me.  Never mind, I will offer you my humblest apologies (just in case I forgot) and congratulations.  I am still waiting to hear truthfully how you got these stripes and if you won’t tell me, having a few soldier patients, I will find out for myself.

I am afraid that I must close now, there is work to be done.  Love, Grace x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance