19 April 1942

Usual address

Sunday afternoon

 

My dear Grace,

 

Last week at this time I was standing at the Institute waiting for you turn up to go up home with me.  (Yes – you were late as usual!).  To-day I am sat in a dreary office, after a hectic morning’s work, trying to forget that about 100 miles lay between us!  Ah me!  What an existence.

 

Believe me it was simply grand to receive that extremely long and interesting letter (yes the one you were not going to write me) from you on Thursday.  I did not expect one from you so soon, what with examinations, etc., and so it was a grand surprise.  I don’t know why my letter should have taken so long to reach you.  I posted it about 11 a.m. on Monday morning.  I suppose when we remember there’s a war on we must make allowances!

 

By now you should have completed that examination of yours.  Let me know as soon as possible what the result is, won’t you – and it had better be good.

 

You make me feel very jealous when you tell me about your jaunt to see Coward’s “Blithe Spirit”.  His plays are a great favourite with me.  I like musical comedy very much, and in his plays the jokes are always so sophisticated without losing any of their meaning.  The day we went to Leeds I was hoping we could have seen some sort of a show like that.  However, perhaps next time!

 

Sorry about the spare tyre remark.  I’ll believe Kit.  She should know more than me on the subject!    The best part of your letter is the news about your holidays.  If you could manage 19 May to 8 June I am almost sure I could get eight days home sometime during that period.  That is of course always allowing for the fact that you want me to and that you think you could put up with being pestered with me for such a long time!  (Ah! Ah! I can be catty as well as you!)

 

Personally I think we could do lots in eight days – in fact in that time I might even be able to make up your mind for you!  Notice I said “might”.

 

By the way you promised to let me know what sort of impression I made on your Father – whether it was just “good” or “bad” or just “indifferent”.  Or perhaps you consider it should remain a state secret.

 

I’ve had one of my “quiet” weeks this last seven days – only been to the pictures three times!

 

Tuesday – Walt Disney’s “Dumbo” which is good.

Thursday – Cesar Romero in “Dance Hall” pretty awful. 

Saturday – Bette Davis and Herbert Marshall in “Little Foxes” which was very good.

 

I notice in your letter you ask if I ever think of you.  I really shouldn’t tell you but I will!  All my spare moments (especially in the evenings) and sometimes when I’m working, I think of little things you’ve said or done and how damned annoying you can be at times and how really sweet at others, and lots of other things that I won’t tell you now!

 

This snap of yours, by the way, is almost worn out so I think another one would be a good idea.  More than one would be a better idea still!  Yes, I know what you are going to say – “what about one or two of you”.

 

We’ll take some next time we are together, OK?

 

Well, as I am writing this all at once I can’t go one better than your ten pages, because that was a three-day effort.

 

Don’t be long before you reply will you – and if possible let me know definitely of your views on leave and when you can have it.  

 

And if possible, keep in the same mood as you were when your wrote to me last.

 

In the meantime au revoir and keep my love.

 

Yours Stan xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance