Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Nurses Home, General Hosp. Nottingham.

21/4/42

 

My dear Stan,

 

I am writing this letter under great difficulties, they are as follows:-

1. The wireless with “Music while you work” being played loudly in my right ear.
2. On my left Kit and another friend having a very loud debate upon some subject or other.
3. A nurse close behind me who will persist in talking to me so if it is a poor attempt you know the reason why.  I will do my best however and first I must apologise for not giving you father’s verdict in my last letter.  It was pretty good so stop worrying any more about it.

 

The second piece of good news I have for you is that I have got my holidays from May 19th to June 8th.  I hope you manage your leave the last week of my holidays.

 

Oh dear!  It is almost hopeless trying to write – nurses keep popping in and out – all feeling very depressed as they are taking their preliminary state exam.  We have not got our medical results yet.  Sister-Tutor has promised them for Thursday.  I do hate waiting for results, I like to know the worst.

 

What do you think?  I am on day duty once again.  It is grand being able to go to bed at night instead of going on duty.  I am on the James Foreman ward – men’s accidents.

 

By the way, what are you doing about that exam that your mother wanted you to take, are you going to take it?

You made the remark that you had only been to the flicks three times in one week – and you call it quiet!  What do you call hectic?

 

You ask me for some more snaps.  I have not any more worth sending, really I have not.  We tried to get a spool for the camera but it was like trying to get gold.  If you can manage to get one for our hols you will be lucky.

 

Time is getting short – it is getting increasingly difficult to write – perhaps I had better close and the next time I write I will do so in the quiet of my room – perhaps my letter will be worth reading then, as it is – well, I just hope you manage to get through it somehow.

 

Yours with love, Grace xx

Comments

  1. With reference to Grace's third item in her opening paragraph, I can well recall the feeling that one was being given the 'once-over' by the parents of a new girl friend. Even as late as the 1960s, there was usually some parental supervision, however slight. Luckily I always seemed to be acceptable to Mother and Father, even if the young lady in question later decided that I wasn't up to scratch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Going to a Dance