24 April 1942

Usual address

Thursday evening

 

My dear Grace,

 

Unlike you, who seems to have had all the members of the Nurses’ Home surging round you when you wrote to me, I am sat in the Sergeants’ Mess all on my lonely own! Sprawled out in an armchair, with the wireless playing some especially dreamy music, I am appreciating the fire much more than usual, as I have been out in the cold rain for most of the day.

 

From that you will gather that I am feeling rather comfortableThere’s just one thing spoils the scene as far as I am concerned, however, and that is that you are not here with me. That would make me feel particularly happy. Although your person is not here, however, I like to imagine your spirit is – that is to say you are thinking of me a little. Am I expecting too muchI suppose I am really – but you know the old Bristow spirit “Never say die”!!

 

The news that you have managed your holidays so that the first week in June is included is grandThere appears every possibility of me getting the last week of your holidays for my leave. Won’t that be OK. We can do lots in a week, can’t we? June seems such a hell of a way away, howeverIt seems terrible to think that I shan’t see you until then.

 

As I mentioned earlier in this epistle I have spent a very cold and wet day in the back of an Army lorry.  

 

There was to have been a demonstration of fighter aircraft bombing and machine-gunning ground targets at a spot 80miles north of this place, but when we got there the demonstration was cancelled because of low cloud and rain. It is probably as well it was cancelled, however, for when they held one in the South of England some of the fighter planes bullets went astray and 27 soldiers were killed! You never know, I may not have been here writing to you tonight if the demonstration had taken place.

 

Well if the Sister-tutor has kept her promise you should know your exam results by now. So I suppose you will be out celebrating to-night. Now that you are on day duty once more and enjoying the night life of that “famous” city of NottinghamI only wish I was nearer and able to see you and take you round the place.

 

Well, my darling, I can’t think of any more news that will interest you, so I will close down and go to bed.

 

Don’t be long writing back will you? I am very impatient sometimes.

 

Until then, keep my love. Yours, Stan xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance