Wednesday, 17 June, 1942

The Nurses Home   
General Hospital
Nottingham

11 p.m.   Wed.

Darling Stan,

I was surprised but very pleased to receive a letter from you last Monday.  I am so sorry that I disappointed you dear by not letting you have a letter for last Saturday but you do understand and now that my exam is over I will let you have them more often – that is until I start with my next exam.  Another thing is that it takes my letters twice as long to reach you as it does for yours to reach me.  Of course, I am glad that it does not take your letters long to reach me.  I look forward to them so much.  However – ‘nuff said about one subject.

As regards this exam of mine, I sat it last night.  The paper took one hour.  There were two questions – both compulsory.  The first one was not too bad but the second one was simply terrible.  I am sure that I cannot possibly have passed it. I honestly mean it.  The worst of it is that the surgeon is away on holiday so the papers will not be marked for some time.  I suppose that it is too late to worry now.

Just before I received your letter, Kit was remarking that it was about time I had a photograph of you on my dressing table – I suddenly remembered that there might be some post for me so I dashed to the letter office and there – sure enough – was a letter from you, telling me that you had actually managed to have your photograph taken.  I was so pleased and I am looking forward to receiving one.  Have you had it taken in uniform?

I am enclosing the snap that I had taken two years ago with Jean.  Bit ancient isn’t it?

Did you manage to catch the post with Mrs Simmond’s letter?  I hope so.  Poor woman!  They must have something to talk about.

I think that you are wrong though when you say that Grimethorpe tongue wagers have not been talking.  According to latest reports from Vera they have but what they have been saying I do not know.  She is keeping that until I go next time.

Please remember me to your mother and the twins when you next write home.

Do you know – you made me feel thoroughly squashed about that Concerto in B Flat or whatever the thing is called.  As for starting an argument on another subject – well – perhaps I had better not.  You newspaper men are very wise!  As for spelling the composers name – I had an argument with somebody else about that and I was right.  I decided not to put it in my letter however until I was sure of it so I looked it up on a piece of music.

I know that I am not often right, especially in an argument with you but watch out young man as I am occasionally.

By the way, I have just re-read your letter and find that you put “you hoped I would not be bored with receiving three letters a week”.  If you knew how I look forward to your letters darling you would not write that.

If I do not switch off my light or draw my curtains I will have a black-out fine to pay so Good-night my love.

All my love, Grace  xxxxxx


This may be the photograph that Grace was referring to, as the photographs and letters had become separated it is difficult to tell.  'Jean' is probably Jean Gooderson, one of the nurses who trained with Grace at King Edward VII Hospital for Sick Children in Rivelin Valley north of Sheffield.  It seems that Jean went to train as an SRN in Nottingham at the same time as Grace.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance