Wednesday, 24 June, 1942

The Nurses Home     
General Hospital
Nottingham

24.6.42   8.15 a.m.

Darling Stan,

I received your letter this morning, so am wasting no time in replying.

It is my day off to-day, you see I have a day off for June as well as one for July.  I decided not to go home as I hope to get at the beginning of next month.  I cannot let you know which day I shall be having as I do not know whether or not I shall be moved when we start spring cleaning, which we start on July 4th.

So your mother decided not to take on her new job after all?  It really is amazing to what extent the mere male can use his powers of persuasion when he wishes to!

This silly cold of mine seems to be going and coming at intervals.  It is a nuisance.

Did you enjoy “playing at soldiers”.  I guess it was quite a challenge for you.  Variety is the spice of life!

You asked if I had the “Florence Nightingale complex”.  Well, at present I do not seem to have any particular complex.  I just feel indifferent.  Oh yes, it is quite true.  Not even the thought that I have most surely failed my exam even worries me.  The results are not out yet – why all this delay I do not know.

I went to the flicks last night and saw “A Lady for a Night” and “Confirm or Deny”.  The later was a “newspaper” picture and quite good.

It has been a glorious day to-day.  At present I am sitting outside (we have a bit of a lawn but the grass needs cutting.)  The sun is shining but there is a lovely breeze, the sky is a deep blue with tiny white clouds scudding across.  It reminds me of that poem – “Oh! for day, for a day in June” – I cannot remember who wrote it, do you know?

Lying out here it is hard to believe there is a war on.

I hope this letter reaches you by Monday.  I am posting it this evening, so it should.

My brain box refuses to function any more.  Maybe I will have more news when I write next time.

Love Grace  xxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance