Monday, 3 August, 1942

The Nurses Home

General Hospital

Nottingham

3.8.42

 

My Darling Stan,

 

I was so thrilled this morning to receive two letters from you.

 

I was sorry to hear you have such a dreadful cold.  I wondered how I had caught my cold but now I have come to the conclusion that you posted some of your cold bugs in your letters to me and so transmitted your cold to me.  I suppose you will say it is improbable and well, maybe it is and maybe it is not.

 

As I write this the “Alert” is on and a Jerry is hovering in the clouds.  He is becoming a much too frequent visitor these days.  The siren went during the night and I was on fire watching duty, which meant that I lost an hour’s sleep.

 

So you are having a busy time in Scotland.  Sorry they are keeping you so busy but maybe it is a good job, you know how the old proverb goes – “The devil always finds something for idle hands to do.”

 

Now I am making horrid remarks but you know that I do not really mean them and that I do trust you Darling, it will soon be the 6th of August.  Does it mean anything to you?

 

The weather has changed a great deal since Saturday.  It is wet and cold and really horrid.  Talking or maybe I should say writing about the weather being wet reminds me of the bit I read in your letter about you putting on a wet coat!  Really Stan – you are certainly asking for trouble.  I was pleased to hear that Major Foot is looking after you.  I wish I could change him places.  By the way, you are a lucky person – having quinine, it is treasured more than gold in this hospital.  It is terribly difficult to obtain and they have to keep our small stock for malairial treatment.

 

I am glad you got my letter last Tuesday.  I have posted two more to you since – to your old address – so I suppose they will be waiting for you on your return.  I hope you receive this one alright.  This also does seem a peculiar address.

 

I will close now my dear.  Now do not forget – look after that cold as so many things start with the common cold and you sound to have a pretty bad one.

 

All my love darling.

 

Grace  xxxxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942