Sunday, 13 September, 1942

The Nurses Home

G. H. N.

Sunday night   

My Darling,

I did not receive your letter until to-night.  I thought that there might be a letter for me last Friday but one did not arrive.  I was sure that there would be one Saturday and when there wasn’t one for me I can tell you I felt very disappointed.  Your letters play an important part in my life.

I think that it must have arrived yesterday afternoon and was not brought across to the home till to-night.  I was getting rather worried and wondered why you had not written. 

I entered my bedroom to-night and there, reposing on my pillow was your photograph*, I picked it up, knowing that it was one of Kit’s tricks, and there underneath was your letter.  I felt so very relieved and pleased that you had written and that the fault was here.

I expect I shall hear from you in the morning so will finish this letter to-morrow.

Monday  10 a.m.

I have just received your second letter.  You sound as if living in the country is getting you in a very depressed state of mind.  For myself, I prefer living in the country to living in a city; but there, I suppose that is just one little matter upon which we differ.  Where we prefer living may not always be a little matter, what do you think?

Another point that I cannot say I agree with you upon is that of something being done about your off duty.   Believe me, the people in authority here try to interfere too much with our off duty, telling us where we should go, etc.

They certainly should organise our working hours but when I am off duty I like to live my life without their interference.

You asked me if I had been to a dance lately.  No, not since the last one I told you about.

We shall be having a dance here on Friday 25th September – the annual tennis tournament and dance.  I suppose I shall attend as I shall still be on day duty.  I shall not be going on night duty until Sister returns from her holiday, which will be a fortnight to-day.  

If I do go on night duty at the end of this month I shall not get any nights off till October, or at least, it is most unlikely that I shall.

So you think that you might go abroad, I read between the lines and gathered so.

I sincerely hope not, although saying that is not being very patriotic is it?

I suppose I ought to say “Never mind darling – if you have to go, the war cannot last much longer, then you will be coming back home again.  You will have done something for your country and I don’t really mind” but darling – I do mind!

Ah me, this life can be very sad at times.

You asked me if I wanted the other piece of material.  If you don’t get into trouble by sending it to me, I would appreciate it.

I had a letter from home Friday morning.  They have heard no more about Eric yet.  I too am hoping that we can both be home when he comes. They all wish to be remembered to you.

Vera said that Janet had been up and they had both watched the eclipse together.*

No more for now, dear, my head feels a bit wizzy, as if I am in for a cold.

Au-Revoir darling.  Love Grace.  xxxx



* Stan had his photograph taken in Barnsley in June, 1942, and this is mentioned in the letters.  However, there is no mention of him sending the photo to Grace, so he must have given it to her when they were together.  We know that this is the photograph as it is a studio portrait and it is inscribed "All my love, Stan  7/42"

* The eclipse: at around 5 p.m. on 10 September, 1942, there was a partial solar eclipse, when the moon covered about 20% of the face of the sun.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942