Thursday, 24 September, 1942

The Nurses Home
General Hospital
Nottingham

Thursday    

My Darling,

Winter is certainly near in this part of the world.  It is terribly cold today.  I was sitting in lecture for an hour this morning and got frozen.  The windows were wide open and as yet the heat is not on.

I then made my way to my bedroom, sat for an hour and a half writing up a lecture and then my fingers could hardly hold my pen, so I decided I would go to first dinner.  That warmed me up a bit so I decided that I had now enough energy left to write to you.  Not that I require much energy when writing you letters, I don’t they just come naturally and without any mental fag.

I received a letter from your Mother, Tuesday morning, which thrilled me very much.  I suppose you cannot understand my being thrilled by a letter from one of my own sex but it is not the same sort of thrill as when I receive a letter from you.

She told me how John and Janet were liking Hemsworth.  John’s main interest at present is Rugby.

I gather that Vera and Janet are now the best of friends.

I still do not know anything definite about my night duty yet.  Of course, as I said before, I do not expect to until Sister comes back, which is Monday.

I went to the pictures last night with Kit and saw Dorothy Lamour (complete with “Saronge”) is it spelled correctly? in “Across the Blue Horizon”.  It is a very good film.  You really must see it.

I think I told you that Kit had been moved on to Pay Bed wing.  We have one of the Sisters on the same floor that Kit works on with Anaemia, or at least they tell Sister that is that but it is “Leukaemia” which is a fatal disease.  I feel sorry for her, she is only about thirty.  In the past she has done other peoples work as well as her own and this is the result.  I don’t suppose you will be interested in our Sisters though.

We had two new wards opened the other day by the Duchess of Portland.  

Whilst I am relating “hospital news” I will tell you my best bit.  Florence is out of the “lung”.  Isn’t it marvellous?  All the long weary weeks for her and she is definitely on the road to recovery.  I suppose she will be months, even years, before she gets properly better, but I feel sure she will.

Now my dear I will not bore you any longer with news that you are not interested in.

What sort of news would you like me to tell you?  Of course I could tell you that I still love you but I have told you that before so it is hardly news, is it?

What do you think of Stalingrad?  I think that it is superb the way that the Russians are holding out.

Bessie had a letter from Eric last week.  He does not know definitely when he will be home, he just says he hopes he will be home soon.

Now I come to think I believe I told you that in my last letter.

I guess it is time I finished this letter and I will write again when I get fresh news.

My love as always darling, Grace.  Xxxx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942

Grace's Friends