Monday, 12 October, 1942

 G. H. N.

Monday      

My Darling,

I did not receive your letter till late Saturday night.  I had been expecting one from you all week and when one did not arrive by tea-time Sat. I gave up hope altogether.  It was a pleasant surprise when I was told there was a letter for me.

The news inside the letter was a still greater surprise.  I did not expect it so soon.  I suppose you will think that I ought to know by now whether I want to get engaged or not.  I suppose I ought to really but even yet at times I am not quite sure.  I am being honest with you Darling.  It is only right that I should be.  I am glad that you have given me time to think about it.  I really am a dreadful person, I don’t know whatever you must think of me.

I should be on night duty in time for your next leave.   It sounds a bit “fishy” to me, but I think I have gathered what you mean by it being a very important one.  I sincerely hope that it is not.*

I was pleased to hear about the marked improvement of your new residence.  It sounds a bit better to me.  I suppose you will be glad that you have got back to “town life” again.

I have got my half-day tomorrow (Tuesday) and day off Wednesday.  Kit has got hers too so we can travel together.  We are going as far as Doncaster by car.  One of the patients in “Pay Bed” heard that Kit was going to Doncaster on Tuesday and his father happens to be going on Tuesday also, so he gave her the invitation for us both to go with him.  It means that I shall save 2 hours and I shall not have to wait so long in Doncaster.

I intend going up to see your Mother Wednesday morning.  I will let you have all the “home news” in my next letter.

Time is rather short so I suppose I had better finish.  One other thing which I feel very jubilant about is that all our lectures have been cancelled this week, because of the finalists’ exam.

No more for now, dear.  My love as always, Grace   xxxx

* This seems very mysterious, but  Stan has already remarked in an earlier letter about "preparing a unit for war".  He is not allowed to say anything under the censorship rules but he wants to let Grace know that his next leave might be his last before being sent abroad.  This is clearly the reason he has also asked Grace to become engaged to be married.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942

Grace's Friends