Sunday, 25 October, 1942

Usual address

Sunday 10.30 p.m.   

My Dear Grace,

I am glad to hear that you found your short stay at home such a pleasant break.  I agree with you, it is nice to get home – especially when there’s a good meal waiting for you, too!!

I could just do with a visit home now.  I have been putting in 13 hours a day all this week & I can tell you, its no fun.  I don’t know how much longer working at this pressure is to continue, I am sure, but I hope its not for much longer.

Yes, Mother appears to have been rather peeved about a letter, or something, but I am sure I wrote to her at the same time as I wrote to you.  The letter must have been delayed, or something.

I am glad you had time for a visit to no 19 & that you took your Mother up too.  (By the way, Horticulture is not my strong point, but the spelling of those flowers is: chrysanthemum!!!)

Remember me to Vera when you next write.  Its nice to think someone thinks something about me!  I often think of her, life doesn’t hold much for anyone at the moment but with her share, it amazes me that she keeps so cheerful.

We had a dance last night & I finished work at 9 p.m. & looked in for the last couple of hours.  After being used to the friendly northern people, these Yokels here seem very cold & distant.  They all seem to treat you with suspicion (perhaps its my face).

Well, its raining cats & dogs outside & I have ¾ of a mile to walk from this office to the Mess, so I suppose I really ought to be making tracks.

I’ll write at the beginning of the week when its not so late as it is at the moment & I am in a bit better mood.

So until then, keep my love.  Yours Stan xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Sunday, 24 September, 1944, a 'sea letter'

Thursday, 21 September, 1944