Two Letters - Wednesday, 14 October, 1942

Usual address   

Wednesday lunchtime  

My Darling,

I thought if I sat down and answered your letter straight away, you would get a reply in the morning, just as you got back from Grimethorpe.  I hope you had a pleasant couple of days.  I sincerely wish I had been there with you.

The news that I still had pretty severe competition from Florence Nightingale was rather a blow to me.  After our last meeting I was quite convinced that even if you had not forgotten her altogether you did not think of her so much!  I suppose it was rather presumptuous of me to think I could kick her out of your make-up in such a short space of time as eight months!

However, the situation is one which can be talked about much better than written of, so I’ll try to say no more on the subject until I see you.  The main reason I made the suggestion was, however, that I thought that if I was to go overseas it was the best way of showing my true feelings towards you.  Still, as I have just written for now – “nuff said” (or probably too much).

What had my Mother to say to you?  I don’t suppose you would see John & Janet.  Are your parents and Vera keeping well?  I suppose you collected all the scandal during your short stay.

The one bright spot in your letter was the news that you would most probably be on night duty by the time I have my leave.  That cheered me up a bit after reading the beginning of the letter.

Well, Dear, that’s all.  Write back soon.  You will have some time if your lectures have been cancelled.

All my love, Stan  xxxxxx

G. H. N.

11 p.m.?      

My Darling,

It is somewhere around eleven p.m. on Wednesday and I have been back from my short stay at home for just over an hour.

I think I told you in my last letter that Kit and I had received an offer to be taken into Doncaster by car.  We accepted the offer and were taken as far as Rossington.  It was dreadfully cold waiting at Rossington for a bus to take us the four miles into Doncaster so we decided to walk to the next bus stop.  We had only been walking a few minutes when a car stopped and the occupant (an RAF officer) asked us if we would like to be taken into Doncaster.  As there were two of us we accepted and were taken to North Bridge.  We arrived there at about 5.10 p.m. so I went straight away to the bus stop and waited for the 6 p.m. bus.

It was grand to get home again and Mother had a hot meal waiting for me which I certainly appreciated.  I found Vera pretty much the same, poor kid, it is dreadful for her.  She gave me a long account of your doings and sayings when you were home last.  You are certainly well in at home, Stan.

You know, as I said before, it was grand to get home again but Darling, it wasn’t the same without you.

I went up to see your Mother.  I think she was a bit upset that you did not write until last Saturday.  I felt awfully guilty because you had written me but not written home.  Apart from that everything in the garden was lovely.  Mother went up with me and we took your Mother some crysanthemums (hope its spelt correctly).  I saw John on the bus coming from school.  Janet was staying at school for country dancing.

I am having to finish this in my half hour lunch time Thursday morning as the lights went out last night.  To make matters worse I lent Laughton my pen before I came off duty so I have had to borrow Kit’s.

No more for now dear, I have 2 mins. in which to get on duty.

I will write again to-morrow.  Bye’ Darling.  Love Grace  xxxxx

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942

Grace's Friends