Friday, 28 July, 1944 - Two Letters

G.H.N.                                                  157

28.7.44

My own Darling,

I received a letter from you yesterday which Vera had posted on to me.  Enclosed was another photograph.  Thank you for it Darling.  I think that it is quite good but not as good as the two previous ones.

Everything is much the same here as when I last wrote you.  We have had one fresh lot of patients in but it has not made us too busy.  Sister has been in a very good mood since I returned which helps to make life much more pleasant.

The weather too has improved I am very pleased to say as it is my week-end.  I have definitely decided not to go home for it.

Last night was my evening off so a friend and I went to the pictures and saw Dorothy Lamour and Dick Powell in “Melody Inn”.  It was fairly good and a change from the usual picture one sees these days.

Did I say that the weather had improved?  Since I started writing this the sky has become quite black and it looks as if we are in for a jolly good shower.  Not that it really matters as I do not think I shall venture out again to-day.

This afternoon Robin (a girl, by the way) and I went out to tea.  We thought we would have tea in comfort so went to the “Black Boy Hotel”.  It was very pleasant and we could imagine that one was used to dining in Hotels and had plenty of money to throw around.

A letter arrived from Vera this morning.  She had not much to say.  There was not much happening though at home when I was there.

I guess you will have to come home Darling and then we can give the local gossipers something to talk about again.

Well, my Dear, I am afraid that this letter is not very newsy but as it is supper time and the end of the page again I will say au-revoir.  Before I close however, I must tell you that I still love you – very much. 

Bye Darling, Grace  xxxxx

  

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

28 Jul. 44                                                                                182.

My Very Own Darling,

There was not enough room in last night's air letter to answer all the things you mentioned in your two letters which arrived yesterday and so I will carry on from where I left off last night. 

Thank you for the message from Mother regarding my Grandad.  I feel very sorry for him, for he seemed in such good health and fit for a good few more years when I last saw him.  However, as you remark in your letter, Dear, death will be his only relief now, so I suppose the sooner it comes the better.

I also had a letter of explanation from Janet yesterday, too.  She writes a very good letter now.  She was telling me about visiting you for supper and made me feel very jealous and homesick Darling.  I do so want to be with you again quickly.

I am actually writing this perched right at the end of the jetty.  It’s been absolutely unbearable today & I thought if I came along here I might get a spot of breeze from off the sea.

Actually I am glad I came for there’s a marvellous sunset tonight and from here I’ve got a good view of it.  There is an occasional flash of lightning so I suppose that before long we shall be having a storm.  Still it will perhaps clear the air a bit.

By the time this reaches you, you will have been back at work for about a fortnight I suppose.  How’s it going down, Dear?  Have you got rid of the “Ante-Holiday feeling”.  I was wondering the other night if you had a sore neck this year.  I often think of silly little details like that, Precious.

Down on the Bathing Beach this afternoon I had another photograph taken in a group.  I don’t know how it will turn out, but if the result is at all passable I’ll send it along.  I’ve never had my photograph taken so many times in my life as I have had this last fortnight.

I’ll have to see what I can do about curing this heart ache of yours, Darling; but the prescription you have given is a very difficult one.  Ah me, how I wish I could come home & be with you again.  Its my one aim in life at the moment.

No more space Beloved, so I’ll have to say “Goodnight”.

All my love always   Stan  xxxxxxxxx


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters 

#soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2   #1940snurse   #nursing1940s     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, 20 June, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 23 July, 1944

Thursday & Friday, 29 & 30 June, 1944