Friday, 29 September, 1944

2364226                                                                  
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

29 Sep. 44.                                                                                     212.

My Very Own Darling,

I think we’ve seen the last of the summer for its done nothing but rain and rain during the past two days and there’s a noticeable drop in the temperature.  Soon be wearing battle dress again & shivering in the cold of an Italian winter!

I finished my sea letter describing one or two points from my visit to Rome & posted it this morning along with some views of Rome & Naples.  I think you’ll find it interesting.  Hope it only takes as long as the book I sent you.

From your last letter you are apparently finding the book tough going.  I thought perhaps you would.  Its not an outstanding book by any means, but as I said I found it interesting because I had a personal knowledge of the places referred to. 

You remember me telling you last year about about our RSM (who was a very good friend of mine) getting a commission?  Well, he went to 1st Airbourne Division who have lately been fighting in Holland and who got such a beating.  I’ve just finished writing a letter to his wife to find out how he fared.  I do hope that he’s alright for he was a grand chap.  He only got married three months before we came abroad.

Really Darling, you and I have a hell of a lot to be thankful for, haven’t we, for at least you haven’t to worry about my being in any danger.  I often grumble to myself about this life, but compared with many others, I suppose we are really well off.  It would be so nice though Darling, wouldn’t it, if we could just see each other for a while occasionally, like we used to when you were on night duty & I used to get 48 hrs leave to come home to see you.  They were so thrilling those short breaks weren’t they, Angel, although in the early stages we used to spend a lot of time arguing!  You did take a lot of persuading that you should love me, didn’t you?  My persuasive powers were working overtime.

But that’s all over now, isn’t it?  We are two people who have made up their minds once and for all what they want and have lots and lots of plans as to how we are going to get it.

And the foundation for all these plans is something very sound and solid – true love, a thing which we have found and learned to appreciate in this last two years, two years which have been very happy & for which I’ve got the sweetest most lovable girl in the world to thank.  Lots of love,  Angel.   Stan  xxxxxxxx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Wednesday, 6 September, 1944 - Two Letters