Thursday, 21 September, 1944

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

21 Sep. 44.                                                                         207.

My Very Own Darling,

My visit to Rome is fast coming to a close – I return to my unit tomorrow.  The past four days have been very enjoyable, but, oh dear, how footsore and weary I am now!  The weather rather put a damper on things, for it's been raining for the past two days, but it really hasn’t restricted our activities too much for we have been looking at “indoor sights” for the past two days.

This morning I confined to looking around the shops for something for you, Darling, but I’m afraid I’ve got to disappoint you again.  I wanted to buy something for our home, but I couldn’t find anything that would make the journey without breaking.  I then turned my efforts to something for you, but the prices were prohibitive – not that I wouldn’t pay anything to bring you pleasure, Darling, but the things aren’t really worth the money they want for them.  I could have got you a slip & pair of panties in pink silk for £5 or a pair of silk stockings for 25/- but I know you would have been annoyed at my spending all that money, so I kept it in my pocket!  Hope you don’t think I’m getting miserly!!

I am looking forward to getting back now Darling, so I can read your letters.  I should imagine there’ll be two or three waiting for me when I arrive back.  I’ve missed them so much my precious during the past few days.

Because of the weather we’ve had to fill in some of our time in the cinemas and I’ve seen two fairly decent films – “Song of Russia” and “Remember To-morrow”.  The former is made enjoyable by the music of Tchaikovsky played as a background to the whole film, while the latter is an amusing and original story with a newspaper background.

It seems a pity to have to waste valuable time in Rome at the cinemas but it’s just like any other town when it's raining – wet and dreary!

Have you any idea when you have to move from Nottingham to Grimsby, dear?    I’ve wondered quite a lot just lately if you are happy about going, or not.

How I wish I could come along and whisk you away from it all (as I shall do one day) and take you to a little house that would be just ours.

I love you so much my Darling.  Always yours  Stan xxxxxxxxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters