Tuesday, 19 September, 1944 - Two Letters
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces
19 Sep. 44. 206.
My Very Own Precious Darling,
You must forgive me for not having written to you for such a long time – four days to be precise, but I know that to you waiting in England for a letter, it will seem much longer – but I have been travelling for 2½ days, reaching the “Eternal City” yesterday lunchtime. Since then I have been busy sightseeing and am so utterly tired that I am having an hour on my bed after tea before going out to a show.
I am not going to attempt to describe in this air letter all I have seen – that’s an impossibility, but the over-riding thought that’s been running through my head since I arrived is how much more I would enjoy it if only you were by my side, Darling. That would make my life at the moment complete.
I’ve spent the whole of this morning walking around St. Peters and climbing to the top of the great dome – it was a hell of a job climbing the 700 steps, but the view of the city from the top was full reward for the energy expended. Had a big thrill at the end of the morning when I managed to get into the Pope’s audience. Although I have run the religion down such a lot, one couldn’t help but get a kick out of the colourful grandeur of the occasion and the very fact of being in close contact with a man who influences so many millions, not only in this country but throughout the world. But I’ll tell you about it in a later letter.
By the way, if you get a picture postcard of the Pope don’t suddenly think I’ve seen the light, dear! They were all that they had left at the shop in the Vatican City & I thought it would interest you to get a letter from what is technically (at least) a neutral state.
This is a very beautiful city, dear, and the girls are amongst the smartest I have ever seen, I think. I always find myself missing you more Darling when I am in the midst of so many pretty girls. They all remind me how much a man needs a girl and how much I need you, Angel.
Still the war news continues to be good and so perhaps it won’t be much longer before I can experience all those exquisite thrills that only you know how to give me.
No matter where I am, Darling, and no matter what I am doing, I always miss you so very much. Keep loving me Darling. You have all my love.
Your own Stan xxxxxxxxxx
G.H.N.
19.9.44 180
My Very Precious Darling,
Two air-letters were delivered from you this morning, one having taken only six days to come.
I was pleased to hear that you received one of my letters in only five days. I feel so much nearer to you when your letters arrive quickly and I am sure that you must feel the same way.
I found your account of the “festa” of the Feast of the Madonna very interesting. Wish that I could have been with you to see it all for myself. However, you make your descriptions seem so vivid that I almost feel that I actually am seeing these things myself.
I was out at a Good-bye party last night so when I have written this and had my bath I shall retire to bed early tonight.
Every-body seems to be leaving here all at once. Two of the doctors – who have been here a fairly long time – are leaving, one is engaged to the Theatre Staff Nurse - who is also leaving. However, they decided to have one last fling as they go soon and as I shall be going soon myself they asked me to join them – which I did.
I actually let myself be taken into a public house! and I drank a whisky!!! – which I did not enjoy. However, not wishing to be a spoilsport I drank the stuff and pretended that I enjoyed it.
We then went to a place called the Café-de-Paree for dinner which was quite good. It was quite a pleasant evening but I would not care to repeat it too often.
You said that you thought I ought to have accepted the post which Mr Allen offered me but really Darling I think that I did the right thing when I declined. You see most of my friends are leaving Nottingham, the rest of the staff at this Nursing Home are much older than me and I think that I should have been very lonely. There are times when I get lonely and depressed now because I miss you so much, even though I am surrounded by my friends, so goodness knows how I should feel were I to be deprived of young companionship altogether.
Well my Precious, just enough room to say “I love you
Darling and you mean all the world to me.”
As always – your own Grace xxxxx
#lovelettersworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters
#soldierWWII #Italy1944 #ItalyWW2 #1940snursinghistory #nursinghistory #1940snurse #nursing1940s #Nottingham1940s
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.