Monday, 2 October, 1944
G.H.N.
2.10.44 187
My Very Own Darling,
How nice it was to find two letters from you awaiting my arrival back from my week-end.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your leave Darling. I suppose that by now you will have got over your tiring time in Rome. However, if you will go gadding about!
Hope that the Censor lets your sea letter come through this time, telling me all about it.
As I travelled back this evening I realised that it would be the last time I should be returning to the G.H.N. That thought though did not give me any regrets. As I have said before the only regret I shall have when I leave here is that I shall be leaving some very good friends I have made here.
I do not feel in any way attached to this place. I cannot find the right words in which to express just how I feel about my four years here. I feel somehow that they have just been a waiting period of my life and that that chapter is now coming quickly to a close. I suppose that Fate intended that I should come here and that I should go on night duty and have my “nights off” at the same time as a certain young soldier had 48 hours leave and that I should meet that soldier and one day wake up to the fact that I had fallen very deeply in love with him. For that reason – I am very glad that I came here but now that the G.H.N. has served its purpose and I have given my services to the best of my ability – well it is time that I left.
My immediate future is not yet settled. I am still waiting to hear from the Labour Exchange. Goodness knows where I shall be when they have finished messing about.
Wherever I end up though my Darling, I shall still be waiting for you to return and whisk me off to our own little house where we shall be together for all time.
I love you so very, very much my Precious – you are my very life.
For ever, your own, Grace
P.S. Started a sea-letter to you yesterday.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.