28 April 1942

Nurses Home, G.H.N.

Tuesday – 9.45 p.m.

 

My dear Stan,

 

I got quite a pleasant surprise when I received your letter just after lunch to-day.  One of the nurses collected my post for me at 9 a.m. which consisted of one letter from a friend and your letter was handed to me by another nurse at about 1.15 p.m.  I thought that it might take until Tuesday for my last letter to reach you but maybe the sorter has got used to your queer address by now and has not to waste time looking it up.  I think that the first letter I wrote to you was posted on Friday and did not reach you until Tuesday (not such a bad memory after all, have I?)

 

I was sorry to hear you are feeling lonely.  It is, as you say, a pity there are 100 miles between us but never mind – cheer up – it is not really very long to my hols: and to your home leave.

 

Sunday evening I went to the pictures with a friend and saw a very good film “God gave man a dog”.  You really must see it if ever it visits the remote town of Darlington – it is exceptionally good.  Kit and I went to a trade show this morning and saw Ida Lupino and Louis Haywood in “Ladies in Retirement”, which is also very good.

 

I am afraid that I will have to finish my letter to-morrow as it is very late and the lights will be going out soon.  There are one or two odd jobs which I must do before I retire for the night, such as take my nightly beverage, which, believe it or not, consists of one glass of water.  I suppose you will wonder why I have been so long in writing these few pages but I have not been long really as Jean (the redhead) has been in talking to me for about an hour.  Until to-morrow then – good nightStan – and pleasant dreams.

 

Wednesday, 3.15 p.m.

 

Phew!  What a rush.  I came off duty at about ten past two discarded my apron, put my coat over my uniform dress – hoped that I would not meet Matron as we are not supposed to do this – and made a quick dash into town.  It is really hot in the sun, certainly not a day for rushing around but I wanted to finish your letter and post it to-day so that you would get it Thursday or Friday.  

 

I do hope the weather stays like this.  Jean goes on holiday tomorrow so – unless Kit comes off night duty, I shall be feeling a wee bit lonely.  I shall look forward to your letter, however, to cheer me up.  I suppose your friend will be back from his leave so – the tables are turned.

 

have to write home so I am afraid I must stop rambling.

 

With love from Grace xx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance