Friday, 19 June, 1942

Home Forces,

Friday 19th

7 p.m.

My own darling,

I can’t promise you a long letter to-night; I will write more at the week-end.

I thought I would just let you know how pleased I was to find another photograph in your letter this morning.  Of course it had to be passed round the office.  I won’t let you in on all the comments, but they all agreed that I was a most lucky person, having such a grand girl!

I had a surprise on Wed'y.  The Officer i/c Records sent a telegram through to the office to say that I was to be transferred to another unit on Monday next.  Next day it was cancelled, however.  I was a wee bit sorry because the unit to which they were sending me was an A.A. division at York, which meant I could have got home in an hour and a half.

When I first heard, however, my first thought was “How I wish it was near Nottingham.”

It would really be grand if I was near enough to be able to see you on your days and afternoons off, wouldn’t it?

However, I am patiently waiting for the days to crawl by until your day and a half off.  As far as I am concerned it can’t come quick enough.  The more frequently I see you, the less chance there is of you meeting someone better than me.  Looking back on our holidays, however, I really don’t think there’s much fear of that.  There certainly isn’t as far as I am concerned!

Well there is a collection from the GPO at 8 p.m.  If I catch that there is a chance of you getting this sometime to-morrow. 

So until Sunday, I will say “au revoir”.  I’ll write a long letter then.

Keep my love, Angel.

Yours Stan   xxxxxxx


Note: on this day, the British garrison at Tobruk, in Libya, surrendered to the German General Rommel.  The war in North Africa was not going well for the British and Allied forces.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance