Sunday, 21 June, 1942

 Home Forces

Sunday lunchtime  21.6.42

My Own Darling,

I’ve been so busy this morning that there’s only half an hour left for me to write this letter in before the afternoon post goes off.  That’s the reason I am using the typewriter.  I can get things down on paper much quicker when I type and so you will get more news.

Well, Angel by the time you get this letter you will have been back at work for nearly a whole fortnight.  That means that in another 14 or so days we shall perhaps be able to arrange to see each other once more.  How I am looking forward to that!  The next couple of weeks or so will not be able to go half fast enough for me.

There’s still no news of my photographs materialising from the shop yet, so I am still awaiting them anxiously to see what they are like.  Only Mother has seen them up to now.  I shan’t like them unless they make me look about twenty times better than I really am (but of course that is just self conceit!!!)  What about that enlargement on the photograph of you in your uniform which you didn’t promise me?  Have you changed your mind yet and taken it to be enlarged?

So your exam on Tuesday last was rather a tough proposition was it?  I am reserving my comments until I know whether you have passed or not.  I suppose you will let me know as soon as you get to know yourself won’t you?

Next time you write home remember me to your Mother and Father and Vera, won’t you?  You might enquire how the “Ransomes” are running, too?!!

As I have been trying (note I said “trying”) to save some money this week, I have been to the “flicks” three times.  I find it is cheaper to go to the pictures than to do anything else.  Nowadays, however, I never enjoy them half so much, because I am always wishing you were with me so that we could enjoy them together.

I saw Clark Gable and Lana Turner in “Honky Tonk” on Tuesday and last night I went to see Tyrone Power in “Blood and Sand”.  They were both very good, and if you have anytime between working, swotting and squeezing in a little time to write to me (the nuisance) you want to see them.  “Blood and Sand” is in colour and very pretty.

Well, my dear, the time is getting very near to post time and so if you are to get this letter to-morrow morning I suppose I had better be making tracks to the G.P.O., which is about ten minutes walk away from here.  I could go on telling you things all afternoon, but as I say, you wouldn’t receive the letter to-morrow and I want you to.  I always think it starts the week off nicely if there is a letter waiting for you when you come into the office on a Monday morning.  I am looking forward to one from you.

With me having typed this letter, I know there doesn’t appear to be as much as usual but actually there is.

You remember my Mother saying she had applied for a job as a nursery school teacher when we were at home.  I had a letter from her yesterday and she says she had an interview with the Director of Education at Barnsley and is going to start next Monday.  She is very keen on doing something which will help the war effort, although neither my Dad or myself are really keen.  However, when a woman makes up her mind to do anything it is no use trying to alter it, so we are just sitting by and saying nothing!!!

There’s one thing about you, however, you do let a bloke change your mind, now and then.  Remember?  I shall never forget those first two or three times we went out together when you couldn’t make your mind up about me.

By the way, how’s work on the women’s ward going on.  Are you finding it as interesting as you thought you would.  Personally I should have thought being on a man’s ward was much more interesting to you nurses!!  But of course I suppose I am mistaken!  Have you many interesting cases?  Still you can tell me about them in a fortnight’s time.

Well, I really must run now, darling.  Write back soon won’t you, because I look for a letter everytime to Post Orderly pokes his nose round the door – and according to the blokes in this office, if there isn’t a letter, I get very annoyed.

I agree with what you wrote in your last letter, however, swotting must come first.  Ah me, I wish it was November 1943, then most of the swotting would be over wouldn’t it?

Well, when you have a spare moment keep thinking about me Angel won’t you.

All my love, my dear.

Stan xxxx

P.S. Is Egbert O.K?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to a Dance

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Friday, 3 April, 1942