Tuesday, 16 June, 1942

 Home Forces

Tuesday  16.6.42

My Own dear Grace,

It was grand to get your letter yesterday afternoon.  I was feeling rather depressed and your writing was just what was required to put me back in good spirits.  The knowledge that you are always thinking of me and missing me is enough to make any man pleased and proud.

So you’ve broken your fountain pen, have you?  You seem to have a lot of trouble with pens.  I have just had a walk round the town to see if I could get you a new one.  You know what a job that is, however.

Anyway, as soon as I get an opportunity I will buy you a good pen.  I mean to say; no good (written in terms referring to work) nurse should be without a fountain pen which doesn’t keep going wrong!  I shall have to set my “slave” on the job.

Well, you expert on the matter of music!  Actually you should have known better than to contradict a journalist, but I suppose that because I think so much about you I will forgive you!  Would you like to start an argument on anything else? – And by the way, who showed you how to spell the composer’s name!!  Ahah!

By the way, I hope my writing three times a week isn’t going to be too boring.  I hadn’t expected you to answer each one of them (although it would be grand if you can) because you have a lot of swotting to do in your “spare” time.

By the time this letter reaches you, you will have got over your exam I suppose.  I will be thinking of you during the evening.  You must let me know the result as soon as you know it.

I am glad to see that you are on a women’s ward – and that Kit is too!  I suppose you will feel satisfied now.  As I said last week I hope it doesn’t disillusion you!

I had a letter from home this morning.  Mother said that she had just been to Barnsley to see a proof of a photograph I had taken the day after you went back.  She said it was Ok but it will be about a fortnight before the real thing is ready.

I was going to keep it a secret & surprise you with it one day but I couldn’t manage it.  There are very few secrets I can keep!  So if this is a good reproduction of my honourable dial and you like it, I shall want one of your classical features.  So what about it?

Well, Angel, this must be the end as the post corporal is standing over me waiting for this to take to the post.

Write soon my darling, won’t you?

All my love, Stan  xxxxxx

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday, 20 March, 1942

Tuesday, 21 April 1942

Going to a Dance