Friday, 17 July, 1942

The Nurses Home
General Hospital
Nottingham

17.7.42   

My Darling,

I really ought to start my letter with confessing my sin.  That of not having written before now, though really I did not receive your second letter till yesterday afternoon just as I was going out.  As I had a bus to catch I could not sit down and answer it there and then so I am writing in the hope that you receive this tomorrow (Saturday) and then my sin might not seem too bad.

I expected your “mission” to be something really important.  I got quite a shock when I read the PS.  However, you seemed to enjoy the journey, in spite of the fact that you spent the trip back playing with the child (or at least, you told me you did).  I imagined Major Foot to be an old man of about 50-60.  I was surprised to hear about the little girl aged two.  Of course, I know that he might still be an old man!

So you could not pluck up enough courage to ask for a hair slide?  Well, I don’t blame you.  I would not have dared to had I been in your place.  It was very thoughtful of you to think about it at all.

I am pleased that you have managed to get me the material you promised, but remember my warning, darling.

We have actually managed to get the film developed that I told you about.  As Jean’s boyfriend originally bought the film, Jean is having this lot, but Kit has taken the negatives to have some more developed so I hope to send you them next week.  There is only one of myself alone, and I think it is dreadful but Kit has a film to be developed yet so there might be one or two good ones from that.  If so, I promise you an enlarged one.

I have not heard from home since I came back so I cannot tell you of any “Gossip”.

I went to visit my friend Mrs Brown yesterday.  I had fresh raspberries and cream for tea and brought some pretty sweet peas back with me.  They are now adorning this oblong box in which I sleep called a bedroom.

So you think I give you a spot of inspiration do you?  I do not think so darling.  I suppose its like my position when I am here.  I think of my work (There are times when I hate it) but when I am at home and with you – well – it’s just different.

I am afraid that I must stop rambling dear.  I have a lecture to write about a certain operation.  Most of it will come from my text book but it still has to be written.

Yours, with love, Grace xxxxx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942