Monday, 13 July, 1942

The Nurses Home   
General Hospital
Nottingham

13.7.42   10 a.m.

My Darling,

Back again.  How awful it seemed having to get up at 6.15 a.m.  I have not got that awful feeling of depression that I had after my holidays, thank goodness!

How do you feel this morning.  Pretty awful, I should imagine, after travelling nearly all night.  I suppose I shall get all particulars of your journey in your letter tomorrow (I hope).

I did not arrive as early as I expected to last night.  I got as far as Ollerton without any mishap but the bus to Nottingham was crowded, so there we were, about 24 people, all anxiously waiting to get to Nottingham and another bus not due for 1 hour.  Two buses arrived on their way to Worksop so the driver of one emptied his bus, putting everybody in the one bus and was going to take us all to Notts. when the inspector arrived and said that he would have to go to Worksop after all and pick up some people there.  We were left waiting till about 9.20 p.m. and arrived in Nottingham at about 10.15 p.m.  I arrived here at about 10.30 p.m. and Kit had been very thoughtful and asked for my supper saving.  It was not very exciting but it was something to eat.  I eventually got to bed at 11.40 p.m.  I thought of you and wondered what you would be doing and if you were thinking of me.

I enjoyed our short weekend, in spite of the fact that you were under the impression that I had the “Nightingale” complex.  I had not really darling.  Maybe I just wanted to tease you a bit.  Wicked aren’t I?

I got such a thrill when I went on duty this morning.  Florence (my special patient) is much improved.  She can actually talk now where she could just whisper on Saturday morning.  I think she will pull through even now.

Sister informed me that she had “missed me” but I did not believe her.  She just said it for something to say.  She is like that.

Give my love to your family when you write.  I am writing home when I have finished your letter.  Just to let them know that you let me leave Doncaster safely, in spite of the fact that I was not bothered about coming back (yes, I mean it).

I can hear Jean calling me, she has made me some Ovaltine (I need building up again after that week-end).  We are not supposed to have articles of food or drink in our bedrooms.  The “drink” sounds bad doesn’t it?

Just over five weeks to go and then I hope to see you again, until then my love – accept my love on paper.

Yours as always, Grace  xxxxxxx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942