Monday, 6 July, 1942

The Nurses Home
General Hospital
Nottingham

6.7.42   9.45 p.m.

My darling,

Only five more days and I may be with you again.  Yes, it is quite true.  I have asked for my day off on Sunday if possible and if it is not possible I shall have next Monday.  I will get to know definitely to-morrow as Sister comes back from her holiday.  I think that only for anything very special does she let us have Sunday off but I will try a bit of persuasion and state at the end of my letter what the result is.  Of course I know that it is a very special occasion to us – but to these Sisters, especially the very old ones – nothing out of hospital can be of any importance.

I am sorry I could not let you know sooner but you do understand this red tape and routine stuff and that I am letting you know at the earliest possible moment.  I hope that you have not much difficulty in wrangling yours.

Six months ago to-night and I had just met you – we were dancing together.  Time does go on wings.  I did not realise then that I would be writing to you tonight.  I think that soon I might be a fatalist.  I do not regret our meeting – in fact I am rather glad.  I will wait until I see you and then discuss this subject further.

What do you think?  I actually managed to get hold of a Conway-Stewart fountain pen about two days ago.  There is no excuse for me now.  You can put my dreadful scrawl down to sheer laziness.

I thought that I might be moved to another ward for “spring cleaning” but I am still on the same one specialing a patient.  That means looking after one patient only and no-body and nothing else.

This particular patient is a young girl of twenty-two.  She had her appendix out about five weeks ago then went to a convalescent home.  She was there four weeks and was brought to our ward with a general paralysis, ? cause.  About four days ago her breathing became very distressed and we had to put her in the “iron lung”.  She improved and was taken out of the “lung” and sent to Postern Ward with the rest of our patients for spring cleaning.  She was down there for about three hours and had to come back and go in the “lung” where she has been ever since.  Poor girl – she is dreadfully ill.  I sometimes doubt whether she will live, if she does it will certainly be a miracle.

I will not bore you any longer my dear with my patient.  I am feeling tired so will say “good night my love”.

I send my love as always.

Yours, Grace  xxxx

Tuesday  12.30 p.m.

I have definitely got my ½ day off Sat; day off Sunday so I will arrive in Doncaster at 4.30 p.m. July 11th.  Let me know when you will get off.  Will it be Friday or Saturday?  No more for now, time is short.

Love Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942