Tuesday, 28 July, 1942

The Nurses Home
General Hospital
Nottingham

28.7.42     

Darling,

I suppose that by now you will be far away in “Bonny Scotland”.  I only hope that you do not return in a kilt!  Kit said “tell him not to burst trying to blow the bag pipes” and not to cut your feet trying to do the sword dance.  Anyhow, you ought to be able to teach me the highland fling when you do return.*

One other thing – don’t start gadding around with the wee scotch lassies!  Joking apart, I do hope you enjoy your stay in Scotland and that they do not give you too much work to do. 

Enclosed you will find one promised snap and one not promised snap and missing, one snap which you wanted but I did not wish you to have.  I really do not like it so please do not try and get one of it my dear.

Having the sirens and a few planes around seems to be a regular occurrence around this part of the globe once again.  We can depend upon them going every other night now.

I received two very nice letters this morning from John and Janet.  They sound to be getting quite excited now.  Janet said that your mother had been up to see Vera.  It is very sweet of your mother, Stan, she also seems to be keeping Vera supplied with books.

I went to the pictures last night to see “Underground”.  I want to go at the week-end to see “The German Defeat at Moscow”.  I don’t think that is the correct title but its something like that.  It is supposed to include actual pictures taken at the Russian front.

I am afraid that my special patient, Florence, is not well.  She was getting on marvellously until yesterday morning and she has since got gradually worse.  You know, Stan, it is with patients like Florence that we realise how much has yet to be learned and how little we can do.  She has had every care and attention and, although I should not say it, she has had the best nursing it was possible to give but I am afraid she will not live.

Forgive me if I bore you with this – I know you call it a “racket” but if you could see these things you would not.

Gosh!  What am I talking about.  This is not the sort of stuff one is supposed to write to a man in the “Forces”.  I suppose you will think I have got my “Nightingale complex” on.  Maybe I have but darling I can still spare time to think about you and to go on loving you.

Bye-bye darling.  All my love, Grace  xxxxx

* Note to Scottish readers: for Grace, Scotland was far away and somewhere she had never visited.  The stereotypes would have been picked up from films and other popular culture.  Please see the page on 'Language, Censorship and Copyright".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942