Friday, 28 August, 1942

The Nurses Home
General Hospital
Nottingham

Friday, 3 p.m.   

My  Darling,

It is just over 24 hours since you left me yesterday but it already seems like years, although the memories of our time together are still very vivid.

I agree with what you said about our love being the “real thing”.  It is darling, I do love you. 

It is terrifically hot today.  I think it is hotter than yesterday – if that is possible.  What sort of a journey back did you have and how did you find everybody at home?

I thought about you at about six-o-clock last night.  I imagined you sitting outside in your flannels and sandals after having had a big tea, which I bet you were ready for.

I find writing your letter an awkward job.   No! Its not a case of finding something to talk about but I am lying on my tummy, sunbathing and trying to write and this is the result.

It is dreadful on duty in this heat, running round in those thick horrid frocks.

A little spider will persist in running over your letter.  It reminds me of the one you tried to put on me yesterday morning as we were sitting by the river.

Hundreds of little things like that keep cropping up just when I am in the middle of doing something not at all connected with you.

The wireless has just been playing “I’m in love with a soldier” and “Thanks for the memory”.  Darling, that’s what I am thinking at the present moment and now I must close and get something ready to wear at the dance to-night.  I do wish you were here to come but as you are not I will have to make the best of a bad job.

Bye-bye Darling.  All my love, Grace  xxxxxxx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942