Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

G.H.N.                                                                                          167

20-8-44

My Very Precious Darling,

I thought that the good weather could not last for long.  As I write this the rain is pouring down outside.  It does not make much difference to me though as it is Sister’s week-end off and I am “on call” when I am off duty.  That means that I cannot go out even if I wished to.

The Ministry of Labour and I seem to be corresponding quite frequently these days!  Another letter arrived from them yesterday telling me that I have to go for an interview to-morrow (Monday) to decide which field of nursing I would like to enter.  If Matron was here I would to see her before I go for the interview but as she is away on holiday I guess I had better go and see them and hear what they have to say about it all.  I will write and let you know what the outcome of the interview is.

Last night I went to a dance for a short while.  Do you remember the cinema where we went to see a trade show one morning when you were in Nottingham?  Well, there are dances held in the café now during the evening and we went there.  I did not feel like going as it was 8 p/m before I was off duty but I had promised a friend that I would go so we went.  There is quite a good band there and not such a crowd as collects at the other dance halls on Saturday night so we had a fairly good time.  Also there were not so many Americans there which was quite a change.

Have you ever read “1066 and All That”?  I am reading it at the moment and find it very amusing.  I am sure that my next door neighbours think I am mad when they hear laughter coming from my room and they know that I am alone.

Well my Darling I think that I have enough space left in which to tell you that I love you, as much as ever and more – if that is possible.  If the war continues to go as well as well as it is doing it will not be long before I can whisper that to you in your arms.  

Bye then, Precious.  Grace xxxxx

 

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

20 Aug. 44.                                                                         192.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

Your letter today was more thrilling than usual Darling.  It was the one promising to go moonlight bathing with me.  That’s only one of the many many thrilling things we shall be able to do when I am back in England and we are married.  I am so much looking forward to all these adventures, my beloved.  I wish the war would hurry up and finish!

I don’t suppose I have the slightest grounds on which to grumble, though, for our armies in France are doing amazingly well.  How I wish the German machine would be quick and crack.

Had a very interesting evening yesterday when I went along to the nearby rest camp to watch a football match between a Yugoslav Army side & an RAF team.  There was quite a peace time atmosphere about it for a military band paraded the ground before the match and at half time & played a few marches.

One look around the field gave one a good idea of the number of nations who are fighting alongside us.  I think they were all represented at the match.  My pal and I were sandwiched between some Yugoslavs and some Russian airmen (they are exceedingly smart blokes) & when the match got exciting there wasn’t half a din with everyone shouting advice in their own language.

I think these inter-national games are a good idea, for they create quite a good feeling, there being no language difficulties on the football field.

I’ve at last got the negative of the photo I had taken on the beach sometime ago & the only job left now is to get some prints taken off.  Should not be long now.  It doesn’t look a bad snap, although I look different with my glasses off.

Well, Darling I’ve had another delightful afternoon on the beach.  The only thing is that when I get down there I wish so much that you were there to enjoy the fun.  I am pleased you’ve made up your mind to learn to swim when I come home for its such good fun, and it will be good fun teaching you my dear, too!!

I’ve just finished writing a letter to John & Janet for their birthday*.  Another year gone by!  Ah me, time is flowing by, isn’t it?

Just enough room Darling to tell the sweetest girls in the world just how much I love you.  You’re all my life Darling.  I love you so.

Always you own Stan xxxxxxxxx

* Stan's younger brother and sister were twins and were born on 1 September.  This would have been their 14th birthday.


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters   #Nottingham1940s  

#1940snursinghistory  #nursinghistory  #1940snurse   #nursing1940s   

#royalsignalsworldwar2   #soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2  

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 23 July, 1944

Sunday, 6 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'