Two Letters - Sunday, 30 August, 1942

Note: on his return to Darlington, Stan has been transferred to a new posting 

G. H. N.

Sunday morning    

My Darling,

It was grand receiving your letter yesterday.  I am so glad you enjoyed your short visit here – I enjoyed it just as much as you did.

I suppose that a few hours after you receive this you will start on your journey back to Darlington – and the new office.  I guess things will not go down too well at first – especially after the bother of your leave.  I do hope things are not too bad for you – I should hate there to be trouble on my account.

Anyway darling, I wish you luck.

Things are just the same here, except that the weather is a bit cooler – thank goodness.

I went to the dance last Friday.  It helped to lift me out of my mood of depression.  We had quite a good time.  I also went to a dance last night – a police dance.

I went to the Assistant Matron’s office last night for late leave to go to the dance and had a slight argument with her (Asst. Matron, I mean).  You see I wanted 11.30 p.m. leave and she said it was rather late, etc., etc.  She wanted to know where the dance was, with whom I was going and all the why’s and wherefore’s.

She got really mad about it and I just would not tell her.  She gave in eventually and said I could have it.

Really, we are left responsible for the lives of hundreds of people but when it comes to being responsible for ourselves – well, one might think we were babies.

I passed her on the corridor as I was going out and got a very dirty look – not that it worries me – it doesn’t, it is just another minor incident.

I had a letter from Vera yesterday, telling me about the “marabout” and saying that you had been up.  Thank you for taking the parcel.

No more for now, my dear – give my love to your family – or at least some of it and keep the rest for yourself.

‘Bye darling.  Love Grace  xxxxxx

                                       *          *          *          *          *

Grimethorpe

Sunday      

My Darling,

Grimethorpe on a rainy Sunday morning & with you miles away!  So you can imagine what I feel like this morning can’t you?  I have felt that there is something missing all the time I have been here (as indeed there is) and I have wished many times that I had only to walk up to 86* Brierley Road & find you there, Dear.  It seemed funny not finding you dashing round getting ready to keep me waiting when I went up there on Friday.  Yes, Darling, I am missing you more and more!  We shall have to do something about it!!

I delivered your parcel on Friday morning & to my intense surprise I found that the eggs were all whole & not even cracked – but of course I took the same tender care of that parcel as I do of you (says he blushingly!).  I was surprised, however, that the overpowering heat of the train journey had not fried the eggs.  It certainly fried me!

Everything at 86 seems to be proceeding on its normal course, although your Mother is still a little bit worried about Eric.  As most of the ‘Eagle’s survivors have got home she has got it into her head that Eric must be injured and in hospital.  I told her when I was up there yesterday (I’ve had a good two hours of gossip yesterday!) that there are lots of explanations which may account for Eric not coming home straight away, but once you women get an idea into your head, it sticks.  Your Mother says your Dad is keeping much better, but I have not seen him yet.

On Friday I took my Dad to Barnsley to see “Reap the Wild Wind”.  During the bits of the film which you and I saw in the trailer on Tuesday I wished that I had only to put out my hand & find it enveloped in your warm grip, but you were not sat with me so my dreams were soon shattered.  Its a grand film, however, & I strongly recommend you to go if you get time next week.

Last night Dad & I went to Sth. Elmsall (you’ve heard of the place – best little village, etc., etc......!) & got wet through waiting for a bus to come back home.

Its raining cats & dogs again this morning and I can tell you, rain does not improve Grimethorpe in any way!

I bet you wish you were coming with me to S.E. this afternoon.  There’s a good boxing match on!!! (I thought you would).  But of course, Angel, if you were here the best boxing match in creation would not have the slightest interest, as you already know.  I have but one real interest now - & come to think of it only one ambition - & you know who & what, don’t you?

Your sister’s opinion of you has deteriorated, I might tell you, since she found out that you didn’t know what “marabout” (hope its correct spelling) is, so you will have to do something to wipe out that blot on your copy book!

How did the dance go off?  Did you enjoy it as much as the one on Wednesday?  (Yes I am silly asking you that question when I know the answer, but, it gives me a thrill to read your answer!).  I bet it was warm work.  I thought about you & wished I was there.  You know, Darling, I get quite jealous when I think of other people dancing with my girl!!  Not a nasty kind of jealousy, you know – just jealousy!!

I could go on writing all day but Mother seems to think that going & having my dinner is just as important.  It isn’t, but for the peace of the household, I suppose I had better go!

So keep thinking of me until next time.  All my love, Angel.  Stan  xxxx

 * 86 - Stan cannot remember that Grace's parents address is 56 Brierley Road, and habitually gets it wrong.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942