Wednesday, 2 September, 1942

G. H. N.

Wednesday   

2.30 p.m. 

My Darling,

Last week at this time I was sitting in the theatre with you but this week I am sitting on my bed writing to you and wishing very, very hard that the next six weeks will go by quickly.

I was very thrilled with the “9 pages” that I received this morning.  I had a sweet little letter too from Janet.

So you had a conference with your father about “Ransomes” did you?  How interesting!!

Thank you for the news about Eric.  I suppose mother will be writing and telling me all about it.

You made me feel awfully “homesick” this morning, when I heard about you going up to supper, etc.  Darling, you’ve no idea how much I have longed to be at home with you these last four days.  When you are not at home I don’t mind so much – it was by my own wish that I came to Nottingham but when you are there – I long to be with you. 

It is my half-day today and I cannot make up my mind whether to go and see “Reap the Wild Wind” or not.

Actually, I ought to stay in and sew.  Do you remember me telling you about the girl that is getting married next week?  Well, she bought some material for a blouse to go with the suit she is getting married in but has not the foggiest idea of how to make the blouse so I told her that I would make it for her.  I cannot see the poor girl turning up at church without a blouse on!

Yes!  We have started lectures again.  The lecture we had last night was upon the same subject that I did at “Rivelin”* three years ago.  Of course it revised a few things for me.

I went hunting around Nottingham for Vera’s “marabout” yesterday.  The very last shop that I went in had some but it was yellow so I had to end up by getting lambs wool for her.

So you thought you would try and make me jealous by telling me about the girls in your old office did you?  No my dear – it did not work.  There is no need to make me jealous – I can love you and trust you and that is all that matters.

I am afraid that I cannot find enough news to fill nine pages so you will have to be satisfied with five and a bit.

Bye darling, love Grace  xxxxxxx

* Like most working class girls, Grace left school at 14 years old with no qualifications.  You needed to have School Certificate (the forerunner to 'O' levels) to train to be a State Registered Nurse, but Grace found out that you could train as a children's nurse with no qualifications.  This then qualified you to train as an S.R.N.  In 1937, Grace went to the Edward VII Hospital for Sick Children in Rivelin Valley, to the north of Sheffield, and trained as a children's nurse there before coming to Nottingham to train as an S.R.N.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Friends

Tuesday, 6 October, 19942

Monday, 28 September, 1942