Saturday, 22 July, 1944
Grimethorpe,
Nr. Barnsley (155)
22.7.44
My Very Own Darling,
I thought that I had an air-letter left and did not realise until after the post office was closed that I had not and so Darling – it will have to be a sea letter.
Well – the end of my holiday has arrived. It is now Saturday night and I return tomorrow. I am not sorry really – there are too many happy memories here for me. Also I have more time for reminiscing and I find myself missing you so much Darling that – well – its almost unbearable.
I feel that part of me is missing and it is, for you have my heart.
I forgot to tell you in my last air letter that last Thursday Connie, the baby and myself went to Ossett – near Wakefield, to visit relations of Connie’s. I believe you know them, their name is Radford and they used to live at South Elmsall. Your Father and Mother remember them.
As we passed through Wakefield I remembered the last time I was there with you. I still feel cold when I think of Grimethorpe Halt and the ages we waited for the “Puffing Billy” to take us to Wakefield. If I remember rightly that was also one of our unsuccessful days in Leeds. Whether it was unsuccessful or not I wish that I could be there at this moment – with you.
This afternoon Connie and I went to Barnsley and left the baby at home. We walked down to the “Institute” for the bus and your Mother was there waiting for a bus to take her to Doncaster and then on to Cranwell.
We did a little shopping in Barnsley – had tea at Butterfields and thought of going to the pictures. However, when we saw the queues we changed our minds and caught the next bus home. I have not seen a flick since I returned from Edinburgh. Grimethorpe Picture Palace does not appeal to me.
Since I returned from Scotland I have filled in my spare time by making a dress for Vera.
Nothing exciting has happened here – things have been much the same. As we waited for the bus we saw that there was a wedding at the Church – at least we guessed it was a wedding by the crowd of women and children gathered outside.
Just wait until its our wedding, Darling – that will be the day. I only hope there is not crowd!
This letter is not very long, I know but it is nearly midnight and as usual I have heaps of last minute things to do tomorrow so I had better say Good-night and go to bed.
You have all my love, my Precious. Ever yours, Grace. Xxxxxx
#Barnsley1940s
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.