Friday, 11 August, 1944 - Two Letters

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

11 Aug. 44.                                                                                                 188.

My Very Own Darling,

The APO are really working wonders these days!  The letter which arrived from you yesterday evening was posted on 6 Aug – a vast improvement on the far off days in Nth. Africa when even air letters used to take as long as 12 days.  As the letter which arrived last night was the second in two days, I have got two to answer this lunchtime.

I didn’t like the news that the Ministry of Labour were after your blood, very much, but I don’t suppose there’s anything I can do to alter it, is there?  It doesn’t look as though you are going to get your wish to join the QA’s granted.  They must have got sufficient now.  Let me know any further developments, Darling, won’t you?

I had to smile when I read your question as to whether I had my photograph taken whilst wearing a bathing costume.  I read as though you anticipated it was of photo of me in the “nood”!!  Yes, I had a pair of bathing trunks on, Darling.  I haven’t heard whether the films been developed yet.

I was annoyed last night.  We had a good film on at the cinema last night called “One of our Bombers is Missing”.  It had just got started & everyone was getting interested when a thunderstorm broke.  You might ask what that has to do with the picture.  I’ll explain.  The lights & wiring of this town are so bad that every time it rains the lights fail and that’s what happened last night.  A blooming nuisance for we had only borrowed the film for one night.  So in the words of the Chinese sage “We’ve had it”!!

Still I suppose we have a cheek to grumble.  There’s worse hardships than that, aren’t there?

In one of your letters you mention that you’ve been working quite long hours just lately.  I hope the Hospital isn’t working you too hard, Darling.  Remember you’ve got to save yourself for me.  That’s most important.

The beautiful sunny south hasn’t been living up to its name again during the past few days and we’ve had nothing but thunder and torrential rain for the past few days.  You can imagine what a mess the streets are too, for the drainage system is almost non-existent, & the mud is mixed with decaying vegetables, rabbit skins and all sorts of other unmentionable material, both human & animal.

Well, enough of such distasteful subjects and to pleasanter ones.  Do you know something?  I love a certain young lady named Grace more than anything or anyone else in the world.  She means everything to me.  One bright day when I get back to England I’m going to marry her & set up a beautiful little house & prove that fairy stories can some true, by living happily ever after.

Night night, my Angel.  Always yours Stan xxxxxxxxx


G.H.N.                                                                      163

11-8-44

My Precious Darling,

An air-letter dated Aug 3rd arrived by this morning's postal delivery.  You can imagine what a surprise I got when I found yet another air-letter waiting for me when I came off duty this evening.  Of course, I like these sort of surprises.  There is nothing I like better than a letter from you, my Darling.

That so and so pen of mine.  I really will have to try and get a new nib for it from somewhere.  I have had to borrow the one I am using at the moment and even this is not too good.

In one of your letters you said that you preferred a nice comfortable home to the best hotel.  I agree with you.  It is very pleasant to visit these places but give me just one small room Darling – shared with you – and they can have all the hotels in the world.

Dearest, won’t it be thrilling when we can really get down to plans for our own house?  I often dream about it and as you know I am trying to get together a few of the essential things we shall need but I often wonder if I shall manage to get all the things I would like to have.

Of course the salary of a State Registered Nurse is so terrific (??!!) that one wonders what one really spends it all on.

I am afraid that I get really furious when I think about it.  We do not mind the small salary we receive whilst training (though we do earn the little they give us) but it is really disgusting the amount we are paid for the responsibilities we take and the amount of work that we do.  Of course, the general public does not care – why should they?  They know that the hospitals and staff will be there when they need them.  I often wonder what would happen should we completely close all the hospitals for just one week because it was August Bank Holiday week or some other flimsy excuse.  I think that all the undertakers would get rich quickly. 

Goodness knows why I am filling up the small space I have with all my troubles.  I am sure that you have enough of your own.  Darling, I love you very, very much.  You mean everything to me, and I am trying to wait patiently for your return. 

Your future wife, Grace xxxxxx


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters  #1940snursinghistory  #nursinghistory  #1940snurse   #nursing1940s    #soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Sunday, 24 September, 1944, a 'sea letter'

Sunday, 1 October, 1944