Friday, 25 August, 1944

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

25 Aug. 44.                                                                                     194.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

I received an extra thrilling letter from you today which made me very happy.  It was a sea letter which you wrote on the last day of your holiday in which you recalled all the happy memories which Grimethorpe holds for you.

I suppose that I didn’t ought to be glad that you are unhappy when you are at home without me, but I am Darling, for it tells me just how deeply you love me, & after all your love is all that I want out of life now.

Yes, my dearest, when one has time on one’s hands, one always starts reminiscing and that’s fatal, for it always puts me (and I suppose you have the same experience) right down in the dumps for when I think a lot about the past it emphasises how much I am missing you and how much you really mean to me.  Oh Grace, Darling, I love you so.  Life would really be unbearable as you say if I hadn’t the comforting knowledge that the day of our re-union is rapidly growing nearer.

You mention the crowd at a wedding you saw in Grimethorpe.  I am so glad my dear that you have the same idea about weddings as I have.  A wedding is the primary concern of two people, the bride and groom and apart from the parson, a couple of witnesses & the family of each party, everyone else is superfluous.  I only hope no-one persuades you to have a “splash” wedding, Darling.  An early morning effort is my ambition so that the two of us can get away from everyone quickly.  Oh, my beloved, it would be such a happy day.

I don’t know if I mentioned it in a previous letter, but I wrote to Vera last week.  It wasn’t a very “newsy” letter for I haven’t much to talk about these days to people other than you – and we’ve so much to talk about that we can’t put it down on paper, haven’t we?  I suppose Vera’ll be telling you about it.

I saw an excellent film this evening.  It is supposed to be a new one straight out from England, so there’ll probably be a chance of you seeing it in Nottingham.  It’s Bing Crosby in “Going My Way”.  It’s so funny in a human sort of way Darling.  Don’t miss seeing it if you get the opportunity.  In your letter you make fun of the Grimethorpe Empire.  You should see the place I saw that film in.  It defies description.

No more space, my Darling, so until next time it must be “au revoir”.  I love you so much beloved.  You are my very life. 

Always your Stan  xxxxxxxxx


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters  #soldierWWII  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Going to a Dance

Sunday, 23 July, 1944