Thursday, 17 August, 1944

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

17 Aug. 44.                                                                         191.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

Your letter of the 11th which arrived this morning gave me a double thrill.  Firstly, because, I had a letter yesterday & wasn’t therefore expecting one this morning, & secondly because of the way you had signed yourself.  “Your future wife”.  Oh, Darling, that gave me a real kick.  It’s the first time you’ve called yourself that.  It made me feel really proud, but I shan’t be satisfied until I’ve knocked the word “future” out of it!

You were full of financial worries in your letter.  Yes, my dear, money is a thing one never has plenty of and I must admit that they never give you nurses much chance of getting too much.  I often look at my bank balance and think “oh dear we shall never have enough money.” But then I think that if we had everything provided for us & we hadn’t to do a little bit of struggling, life wouldn’t be half so exciting as it is going to be.

Still, my dear, I shouldn’t grumble at your wages now.  Wait and see if it’s a very well paid job being “Mrs Bristow”.  There might not be much money attached to the job at first, Darling, but there’ll be all the love a chap can bestow on his wife to make up the lack, and if I know you, that will be better than money.

You say you think you’ll never collect all the things you want to do before you are married.  Well, whether you do or not, Darling you will have done a damned good job.  I am very proud of the way you are planning & saving for our future.  Its very irksome to think that I’m not near enough to give you more assistance, but that will come later.  I think that you can be certain of one thing, my sweetheart and that we shall have as good a start than a lot of people.  Oh, it will be so marvellous when we do find ourselves standing alone in the world, and see all our plans coming true one by one.  I only hope that a newer and better world arises from out of this conflict to help us on our way, don’t you?

I don’t know if you can grasp all what I intend to convey in the forgoing.  It's so difficult to discuss such an important thing as our wedding on paper, isn’t it?  I wish I could just slip over and talk to you a few hours about it.

I love you so much Darling.  There’s nothing I wouldn’t do to make you happy.  That will be my only aim when I get back to England.  For myself, it will be happiness enough just to be by your side for ever.

Always your own, Stan xxxxxxxxx


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters  #soldierWWII  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 23 July, 1944

Wednesday, 26 July, 1944

Sunday, 6 August, 1944 - Two Letters