Thursday, 24 August, 1944
G.H.N. 169
24-8-44
My Very Own Darling,
An air letter arrived from you yesterday dated Aug 16th and another one arrived this morning dated Aug 14th, so where the latter one had been hiding I do not know.
Well Darling, the news these last two days has certainly been excellent has it not? Paris being freed and Bulgaria capitulating. If things continue to progress at this pace I think that Christmas 1945 may mean quite a lot to us which is what you were hoping in one of your letters.
The last eighteen months have also seemed a long, long,
time to me Darling but I really think that the greater part of our separation
is over. I suppose that the greater
good we are very lucky compared with
lots of people.
As you say, our love for each other has certainly grown more and more as the time has gone by and I am sure that we are both prepared for that great step – marriage. However soon we are able to take that step it will not be too soon for me.
Yesterday I dashed over to see Connie. It is the baby’s birthday some time this month but I could not remember when so I took it a small present hoping that I was somewhere near the right date.
However, when I got there Connie was out so it was really a morning wasted. I shall not be able to go again until next week-end as it is my week-end off this week and I am going home. I go tomorrow.
No more news has come through yet about my new post so I am still sitting back and waiting.
Thank you for sending me the almonds Darling. I am looking forward to them coming. They will certainly be appreciated.
And now I am afraid that I will have to bring this letter to a close, as I have to pack my case ready for to-morrow and have only ten minutes left in which to do it.
Just enough space left (yes, I always reserve the last bit of my letter for this) to say “I love you”.
‘Bye Darling. Your
own, Grace xxxxxx
#lovestoryworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.