Thursday, 3 August, 1944
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces
3 Aug. 44. 185.
My Very Own Darling,
The postman was very kind to me today and presented me with three letters, two of them to my great delight coming from you. One was the sea letter which you wrote to me whilst you were in Edinburgh, whilst the other was an air letter dated 28 Jul 44. The sea letter had taken only 3 weeks, so it didn’t do too badly.
The third letter was from Mother telling me that my Grandad had died. It's rather tragic for I thought he would last a lot longer, but it’s the best thing that could happen in the circumstances. Mother said she was going to write to you, so I suppose you know as much about it as I do.
You’re getting quite a lady about town these days, Darling, taking tea & having dinner in Nottingham’s best hotel, and to think that when I was in Nottingham I felt like taking you to one of them for dinner, but dare not suggest it for fear you would be annoyed!! Yes, it must be quite a pleasant life to be able to live in hotels when you felt like it, but I must say even the best hotel can’t make up for a nice comfortable home.
We had quite a pleasant evening last night. The Tank Corps Band came down & gave us a show. Nat Gonella, the famous “hot” trumpeter, is in the band & gave one or two swing numbers which went down very well with the lads, although it isn’t up my street.
After the show we entertained the band in the Mess. After seeing all the wine those 40 thirsty bandsmen got rid of I know why the Army pays us sergeants nine bob a day! I am not looking forward to receiving my mess bill this week, I can tell you, for on top of last nights effort we have a dinner and guest night to-morrow, so you can guess my wages will look a bit sick by Saturday!
Money is a damned nuisance, isn’t it? I wish someone would invent a way of living without it. I’m not feeling very happy on this subject having just received my income tax assessment for the forthcoming year, which sets me back a further 12 bob a week!! Oh dear!!
But I am sure I am boring you with so many personal troubles, Darling, so I’ll turn to my favourite subject – us! I had to smile about your remark that I ought to come home to give the village gossips something to talk about. I hope, Darling, that when I do eventually get home (and I hope so much that it will not be very much longer) we shall give them lots & lots to talk about, for after all what better is there to chew over than a wedding.
I love you so my Darling, and
look forward to that happy Day.
Always your own Stan xxxxxxx
#lovestoryworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters
#royalsignalsworldwar2 #soldierWWII #Italy1944 #ItalyWW2
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.