Tuesday, 1 August, 1944 - Two Letters

G.H.N.                                                                                    158

1-8-44

My Own Darling,

A letter arrived from you this morning which Vera had posted on to me.  Your letters never fail to thrill me, Darling.  Though I am sure we are all ready to blame the A.P.O. for delay of letters at times we really ought to be grateful.  I do not know how I should exist without your letters to look forward to.

Once again I am back on duty after a fairly quiet week-end.  On Saturday morning Robin and I went out and met an old patient of ours in town.  He had a Thyroidectomy done about nine months ago.  He begged us to go out for tea on the Sunday so we went. 

His wife is very charming person and they have a lovely little home.  To complete their happiness there is a baby on the way.  We were taken upstairs and proudly shown the Nursery.

It made me feel quite jealous!  No – I was not really jealous but how I wished for the thousandth time that this was over and that you were coming home, Darling, and that we could really start living.  However – wishing will not make it so – will it?

It stayed fine over the week-end and I did a little sunbathing and a spot of reading.  About a couple of years ago I bought a book by H. G. Wells called “The Holy Terror”.  Somehow I never got it read but I have at long last started to read it.  I think that it will be good but I will tell you what it is about when I have read more of it.

Saturday afternoon I went boating on the river.  The friend that I went with could row fairly well though I am afraid that I am not much good at it.  We did manage to travel quite a distance though and to get back to dry land quite safely.  As a result of that strenuous exercise I have a beautiful blister on my hand.

Sister has once again taken herself off for a holiday.  She has only gone for three days though – she has gone to some military “do” in Wakefield.  Well, my Darling, there is not much space left for me to say Goodnight.  You have all my love. Always yours Grace xxxxxxx

 

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

1 Aug. 44.                                                                                  184.

My Very Own Darling

The APO have certainly tried my patience this week, for your letter which usually gets here on Sunday didn’t arrive until today.  That meant two extra days of waiting Darling, and what agony it is when I am waiting for a letter from you.  However, my happiness was restored so all’s well that ends well!!

The letter which arrived today was the first I’ve received since you got back to work.  Yes, I expect it didn’t go down too well, especially when you found Sister away & extra work to be done.

You seem to have had a hectic time with that baby during the last few days of your leave.  Fancy having to go back to GHN to get a good nights rest.  Ah Ah!!

Now something to make your mouth water.  One of my corporals has just looked into my bedroom & thrown me four beautiful peaches.  I am just going to eat one, excuse me a minute!  My, that was grand.  Sorry I can’t put a couple in this letter.  Talk about the hardships of soldiering.

Sorry to hear that the sun has been giving you the go-by.  I wish I could share this lot with you for there’s plenty to spare.  I am getting really sun-burned now.  Someone said I looked like an advert “Have a body like mine in ten easy lessons”, but they added, I looked as though I had only been able to afford the first five.  Unkind person, wasn’t he?

I see from this morning’s papers, Turkey is threatening to come into the war once again.  How I wish she’d make up her blinking mind.  She’s been on the verge several times.  It’ll be too late if she doesn’t soon make up her mind.

Things are still progressing favourably on each front, aren’t they?  I am pleased to see some advances in France.  It isn’t before time.  Well, Darling another month has started today.  Another month nearer to the end of the war and our reunion.  I agree with everything you say Darling about that day not being able to dawn quickly enough.  Wish it was tomorrow.  I should be so excited.

I love you so my beloved.  You mean everything to me.

Your own Stan xxxxxxxxx

 

#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters  

#royalsignalsworldwar2   #soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2  #1940snurse   #nursing1940s   #Nottingham1940's 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 23 July, 1944

Tuesday, 20 June, 1944 - Two Letters

Monday, 3 July, 1944 - Two Letters