Wednesday & Thursday, 2 & 3 August, 1944
G.H.N. 160
2-8-44
My Precious Darling,
Two more air-letters arrived from you this morning one being dated July 23rd and the other the 26th. Three letters in two days! Good going isn’t it?
I have started writing this in my lunch time and as we do not get much time for lunch I shall not be able to finish it.
Nothing much has happened since I wrote you yesterday. Just the usual “daily rounds and common tasks”! Mr Allen was in a good mood this morning when he did his round as two of his ill patients are making satisfactory progress and believe me – having Mr Allen in a good mood is a lot to be thankful for.
I will try not to write shop though as it cannot possibly interest you.
3-8-44 3
p/m
I intended finishing this last night but did not get off duty until the early hours of the morning. We expected more patients to arrive at just turned 10 p/m but they did not arrive until nearly 11.30 p/m.* Consequently it was 1.45 a/m when I finally got to my bedroom.
However, as I said earlier in my letter – no more shop!!
I was very thrilled to receive another letter from you this morning, this one being dated the 25th July.
So you wondered if I picked up any tips whilst Connie and the baby were staying with me, did you? Darling, you seem to have forgotten that I used to have a ward of twenty-four babies when I was at Sheffield.
I also received a letter from Vera this morning. She told me that your Grandfather passed away last week. I am sorry Darling but really it is better that he should not have lingered as I think that he must have had a very advanced cancer. I should imagine too that he was very lonely after your Grandmother died.
Well Darling, as I am on duty writing this and as I really ought to do a spot more work I am afraid that I shall have to say au-revoir.
I still love you Darling – more than ever with each day that passes.
Bye then, Beloved.
Your own, Grace xxxxxx
* We can see from this that Grace is still nursing soldiers from the war in France, as they are arriving all together in a 'batch', not individually as civilian patients would do.
#lovestoryworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters
#1940snursinghistory #nursinghistory #1940snurse
#nursing1940s
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.