Friday, 15 September, 1944

G.H.N.

15.9.44                                                                     178

My Most Precious Darling,

As I thought, the A.P.O. were responsible for the delay with your letters but they have made up for it by delivering two letters from you.  One written Sept 4th and one on Sept 6th.

Pleased to hear about your meeting with an old H.G.S. boy.  It must give you a grand feeling to meet somebody from your “home-town”.

The news these days is almost too good to be true, isn’t it Darling?  As good as it is though I am afraid that I still get impatient for the war to end.  This parting of ours is certainly a test of patience, is it not?  I think though Darling that we shall come through with flying colours.

Pleased also to hear that you managed to see a decent film in Technicolour.  Quite a change for you I should imagine!

I went to see that old film “Pygmalion”, last night.  I had not seen it before.  Whichever film Leslie Howard appeared in, it was always good and that film was no exception.  He always put on an excellent performance.

We are still rather slack on the ward as yet so I am taking advantage of the lull and writing this letter on duty.

I cannot remember whether or not I told you in my last letter that I had received my forms to fill in and return to Grimsby.  Kit and I have planned that we shall start our duties there on Nov: 4th.

I was sorry to hear that your trip to Rome had to be cancelled at the last minute.  Never mind Darling, you may get another opportunity before you leave Italy.  In fact Darling, if you send me a wire when you plan your visit there I will fly over and join you and we can have our honeymoon there!  Brilliant idea, is it not?  The pity of it is that like a lot of other bright ideas of mine those sort of things have to remain “ideas”.  Ah me! wishful thinking again I am!

It has just been announced to me that my presence is required in the kitchen to serve the dinners so Au-Revoir my love.*

As always you have all my love.  Ever yours, Grace xxxxxx


* Grace was a Staff Nurse and it is interesting to see that 'serving the dinners' is part of her duties.  In those days good food was of importance for ill people in order to 'build up their strength' and was an intrinsic part of nursing.


#lovelettersworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters #1940snursinghistory  #nursinghistory  #1940snurse   #nursing1940s    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters