Monday, 11 & Tuesday, 12 September, 1944
G.H.N.
11.9.44 176
My Very Precious Darling,
The book which you promised to send me has followed closely behind your letter in which you told me you were sending it, for it arrived at lunch time to-day.
Thank you Darling. I got quite a thrill out of just reading your inscription on the first page – only five words but they seemed so intimate and conveyed such a lot to me. When we meet again I shall have such a lot to thank you for in the proper way.
At the moment I am in the middle of reading a book that Sister has lent me called “Christian Marlow’s Daughter” by Frances Parkinson Keyes. I am anxious to get it finished and start the one you have sent me.
The last few days have been typical Autumn weather. The early mornings have been very misty and very nippy but about midday the sun has managed to struggle through. I like that poem of Keats, I think, that it describes this season of the year beautifully. It starts:- “Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness”. Do you know it?
I have had an awful cold for the last week but I was pleased to say that at last it has started to improve. I hate having a cold, don’t you? It makes me feel so miserable.
12.9.44
I found it impossible to finish this letter last night as I had so many interruptions. Ivy put the final stop to my letter writing when she told me that there was a cup of tea waiting for me. It was a very cold night so the tea was appreciated.
The news was very good this morning. To think that we are near actually fighting in Germany. Darling, it makes me very optimistic.
In one of your recent letters you asked me if I remembered those heavenly nights and early mornings which we spent at the front of the kitchen fire.
Yes, Darling, they are very vivid memories to me and very dear ones too. I do not regret one minute of all these hours we spent together, and to think Dear, that they were only a taste of all the joy and happiness which will be ours – some day (soon, I hope).
Until that day Darling you will have to be contented we
my written love. You have it all. Grace xxxxxxx
#lovelettersworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimeloveletters #loveletters
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.