Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

G.H.N.

4.9.44

My Very Own Darling,

A letter arrived from you this morning dated Aug:27th.  Your letters mean everything to me Darling – they are the brightest spots of my existence whilst you are away.

As you say in your letter August was certainly a month of events.  Let us hope that September is even more eventful – if the happenings of these first few days are anything to go by.

All I want my Darling is to get this war over quickly and have you home again.  I never thought that I could miss anybody as much as I have missed you.

Once again I have been to see the Appointments Officer for the Ministry of Labour.  I told her that I was not going to Belper.  Kit came with me as we had both decided that we would go to Hull – we had been told that the Fever Hospital there was a good training school.  However, she had not any vacancies at Hull and asked us if we would go to Grimsby as there were vacancies there, so we said that we would.  Several other nurses are also going to Grimsby.  It seems Darling that I have not finished with lectures and night duties, even yet.  I suppose that I might as well get four more letters after my name whilst I am waiting for you to come home.

Ivy is also taking her Fevers but she is going to Manchester.  Her salary will not be quite as much as ours but ours is more because there is a T.B. Wing attached.

Ivy has just announced that she has made some tea and as it is a bitterly cold night it will certainly be appreciated.  I think that we have said Good-bye to the nice weather for this year.  It has been dreadful recently.

Thank you for the book which you are sending me.  I am looking forward to receiving it and reading about the places you have visited.

Good-night then Darling.  I love you with all my heart.  Your own, Grace  xxxxxxx

 

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

4 Sep. 44.                                                                                               199.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

The amazing news from France & Belgium overshadows everything these days & makes our little efforts here in Italy seem very insignificant.  It’s almost too good to be true Darling, isn’t it?  I always thought that we would advance rapidly in France once we started, but I don’t think anyone visualized anything quite as speedy as what has been accomplished.

I suppose it affects you in the same way Darling, as it does me.  It makes me so hopeful that the happiness about which we have dreamed so much in the past is not as far away as we used to think.  I bet everyone in Britain is very elated with the news.

I had rather a disappointment today.  I had arranged to go up to Rome to-morrow, but now certain things have cropped up which make it impossible for me to go now & so I’ve had to cancel the trip.  You can imagine how I feel, because I was looking forward to it very much.  However, the chance will probably arise again.

By the way, Dear, have you heard any more about your proposed move?  I don’t suppose you are looking forward to it.  Personally I hate moves (although I’ve got acclimatized to them since leaving England) as I think most English people do.  We are a most conservative lot of blighters really.

Of course there’s two changes which will take place in the future which I shall really like – one the change back from army to civvy life and secondly the change from being single to that of being a married man with a very pretty and useful wife to look after!

There’s nothing of note happened here since I last wrote.  I stood in a queue at one of the local picture houses for ¾ of an hour last night & had the “pleasure” of being turned away just as I got to the door owing to there being a “full house”.  As an alternative, we went to an Italian variety show, but apart from the fact that there was a good conjourer, the show was very dry, due no doubt to the fact that we didn’t understand what the comedian was talking about!

Although there’s plenty of entertainment out here, it’s all much of a sameness.  I can’t tell you how much I am longing to be able to take you on an outing or to a dance again, or for one of those evening walks we used to have as twilight fell over Grimethorpe on those summer evenings which seem so very very long ago. 

They were happy times, Darling, weren’t they?  May they soon return so that I can really love you instead of writing about it.  Your own  Stan xxxxxxxxx

 

#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters  

#royalsignalsworldwar2   #soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2  

#1940snursinghistory  #nursinghistory  #1940snurse   #nursing1940s    

Comments

  1. The final instalment on Thursday3 Sep of A House Through Time included a description of exchanges of letters between a soldier and his girl friend in WW2, with several themes parallel to those of Stan and Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roger. One of the things that I say about the Stan and Grace letters is that they are "Everyman" - their problems, concerns, aspirations and longings are those experienced by so many people during the war. Even if they are not your ancestors, your ancestors were very much like them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters