Saturday, 30 September, 1944

G.H.N.

30.9.44                                                                     185

My Most Precious Darling,

I tried to get five minutes yesterday in which to write to you, but no, I did not manage it.

I had a hectic day, not even having time to stop for dinner and when I eventually got off duty Kit wanted me to go with her to see “Rebecca”.  It was a very good film, Joan Fontaine took the part of the second Mrs de Winter very well.  It is the only picture I have ever seen which does not deviate from the original story.

We arrived back at about 9 p/m and then I decided to do some packing as I go home this afternoon for my week-end.  I have just finished writing out my resignation.  I officially leave here on Nov: 1st but as I have one week's holiday and my week-end due to me I shall go about Oct. 22nd. 

An air letter which you wrote me the day before you left Rome arrived yesterday.

Grimethorpe – 10 hrs later

After a very wearying journey from Nottm. I arrived home about a couple of hours ago.

I dislike intensely that journey so I shall not be sorry when I have no need to make it again.

I learnt when I got home that your family were away for ten days.  I am sorry I shall not see them but I think that both your Mother and Father will be better for a change.

To continue with what I was saying when I had to break off this morning – your letter arrived yesterday.  I am glad my Darling that you did not spend such a ridiculous sum of money on a present for me.

I do appreciate your kind thought though Dear and really you have pleased me much more by being sensible about it.  I was annoyed at the price you were expected to pay for an underset.  I am quite sure that such prices are put on for British and Allied soldiers, as I am sure that the Italians could never afford to pay so much for their clothes. 

One little point of interest – the Grandfather clock has not chimed for many, many months and Dad has started it chiming again.  Do you remember one morning at about 2 a/m when it chimed 20?

All at home send their kind regards.

My deepest love and lots of kisses.  Your own, Grace.  xxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Thursday, 6 January, 1943