Sunday, 10 September, 1944

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

10 Sep. 44.                                                                         202.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

What a day its been to-day!  Our little town has really been gay, for to-day has been the biggest “festa” of the year and the last of the summer months, the Feast of the Madonna, and its been a real gala day.  Now it's close on midnight, but there’s “sounds of revelry by night” (to quote the poet) still drifting into my bedroom on the cool night air.

The proceedings started early this morning with the religious part of the “festa”.  Almost the whole town turned out to make its way in procession round the streets of the town, led by the Commune (or Town) Band, with a host of priests, acolytes etc in the rear.  Six men bore the statue of the Madonna on their shoulders & there was the usual number of banners etc.  The morning was finished off with High Mass being celebrated in one of the town’s dozen churches & then Mr & Mrs Italy went home to enjoy a big dinner, which judging by the number of birds seen around during the past two days, consisted of chicken as the main course.

Dinner over, there was a promenade of all the town’s beauty, bedecked in all its summer finery, with the “lads of the village” standing around noting points!  A big open air concert in the town’s square in a specially erected bandstand from 8 – 12 midnight brought the day to a close.  As darkness fell, the bandstand was illuminated by hundreds of small coloured bulbs, making a pretty scene.  The orchestra, engaged “regardless of expense” at £80 was led by one of Italy’s leading musicians, and at the moment, the passionate arias of La Boheme can be heard.  Wish you had been here to see, Darling.  It was quite an experience. 

I haven’t had a letter from you today Darling – the APO really excelled themselves by delivering your usual Sunday letter last night, in only five days.  Not bad, eh?

I was pleased to hear Dear that you had got your immediate future settled.  It’s a pity you didn’t manage to get to Hull, you would have been able to go out to Cottingham on an occasional day-off.  Still, I hope you will be happy Darling at Grimsby.

I received the snaps of the family yesterday by the way.  They are very good, but as you say, John & Janet are really sprouting, aren’t they?  It will be nice when I can see them all again & more than anyone, when I can be with you once more.

I’m feeling very sentimental at the moment, Darling, the wireless is playing and Turner Layton is singing “As time goes by” which is a big favourite out here at the moment.  I wish the time would go by quickly to the time of our reunion.

I love you terribly Darling and am missing you every moment of the separation.

Always your own  Stan xxxxxxxxxx

 

#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters   #soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters