Sunday, 17 September, 1944
G.H.N.
17.9.44 179
My Most Precious Darling,
The A.P.O. certainly made up for their four days lapse by delivering yet another letter from you yesterday.
In your letter Dear you said that you did not think that you would be home for at least another year. I have tried to look at the situation sensibly and I too realise that. I agree with you – we have to face up to facts. Of course, one can always keep on hoping that a miracle may happen and that you might get home before.
I have just written a short letter to your Mother telling her that I have changed my plans and have decided to take my Fevers at Grimsby.
A letter arrived from home yesterday. There was very little news in it. Mother told me that an Uncle of mine (my Father’s brother) died last week-end*. It was a blessing really as he had a Cancer. His condition was fairly well advanced before it was diagnosed as Cancer and there is nothing one can do at that stage.
Eric has been moved again but we do not know where to – as yet. He is still somewhere in the British Isles, I think.
I am writing this on a Sunday afternoon. It is a beautiful day – how would you like to take a walk by the river with me – or, if you would prefer it you can share this armchair in which I am sitting at the moment. Of course, if my own wish could be granted I would be walking over Brierley Common or those fields at Grimethorpe where we walked so often together. Maybe you would prefer to wait until the cool of the evening to take that walk Darling?
Those were very happy evenings that we spent walking over our favourite fields together – with our arms around each others waists.
As the evening advanced into night so did our happiness increase. We have some very happy memories, have we not my Precious?
As once again this space decreases I will have to bid you au-revoir but not before I have told the best man in the world that I love him very dearly and that I hope it will not be long before we meet again.
With all my love, Grace
xxxxxxx
*Grace's father, William Skuse, had two surviving brothers at this point: George Skuse and Tom Roberts. I am not sure which of these brothers is the one referred to in the letter.
#lovelettersworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.