Sunday, 3 September, 1944

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

3 Sep. 44.                                                                                           197.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

During past weeks my Sunday letter to you has usually been written on the beach, but to-day “rain stopped play” has far as swimming was concerned, a terrific thunderstorm broke after lunch & is still raging as I sit on my bed scribbling this.

The Army Post Office performed according to schedule today & I’ve just had your letter written on your return from Grimethorpe.  I was pleased to learn you had met my Auntie Mary & only sorry you hadn’t met her husband, Rae.  He’s a delightful person & very jolly.

Your description of your father’s adventures and the results of his afternoon’s shopping amused me, immensely.  A magnifying glass & half a dozen kippers certainly are certainly queer things to land home with instead of fresh fruit.

Your description of your Sunday morning certainly made me feel very, very nostalgic.  Sunday can be such a delightful day, can’t it, Darling, and I am sure it will be in the Bristow domain when you and I are married.  I can’t tell you how very much I should have loved to have been by your side as you lay there dreaming with the smell of eggs & bacon wafting about your nostrils.  If I had have been there, though perhaps we wouldn’t have been quite so interested in the food!  What do you think??  Oh, my beloved, we shall be so happy when we are together after this war, shan’t we?

You know, I’ve often wondered how we shall spend our week-ends, shall we be conventional & go to church occasionally, I wonder!  That’s a point we haven’t discussed much, isn’t it?  I think it’s a good thing to do occasionally, don’t you?

Isn’t the news simply grand, Darling.  Our troops are reported in Belgium today.  Their advance has been almost as spectacular as that of the Germans when they over-ran France in 1940.  It makes me very hopeful Dear, doesn’t it you?

Fancy, the war has been on for five years today.  It seems like centuries.  I find it difficult to realize that once I was a civilian at times.

We were talking in the office today about the war & its effect on our lives.  Although the war has brought misery to thousands I shall always remember it for bringing me much happiness, for it was in the middle of it that I met a pretty young lady who has come to mean more to me than any other person on earth.  Had it not been for the war I might not have met her.  You know that I mean you, Darling, don’t you?

But of course now it has served its purpose it can finish as quickly as it likes & leave you and I to model our lives in accordance with all the dreams that have been ours during the long months of our separation.

Space is short again my Darling, but I’ve room to finish in the usual manner.  I know you will never get bored reading that I love you so, my Angel.

I am always your own  Stan xxxxxxx


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters   #soldierWWII   #Italy1944  #ItalyWW2  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 6 August, 1944 - Two Letters