Sunday, 6 September, 1944 - A Second Letter from Stan
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces
6 Sep. 44. 201.
My Very Own Precious Darling,
It was very troubling to receive your letter this morning and find that everything was so unsatisfactory with regard to your immediate future. Whilst agreeing that the old who have reached a chronic stage in some disease or other should be cared for, it does seem ridiculous that girls, so young & sparkling with vitality and already doing a damned good job saving the lives of younger & more useful members of society, like you, dear, should be moved to do the job. Still, its just the same when the Government & Civil Service get mixed up with anything – it all gets tied up & clogged with paper & red tape. That’s one of the reasons I often wonder if it would be beneficial thing to nationalise all our hospitals.
So you are thinking about going in for an additional qualification, dear? I think really you are doing a wise thing, for in this world one never knows when all these qualifications will come in handy. It will mean more studying, but it may be worth it in the end, and any case, it doesn’t matter how optimistic one is, I don’t think I shall be home for at least another year. It’s a terribly hard thing to write about to you who are waiting so patiently, my beloved Darling, but it isn’t any good trying to escape the stark facts is it?
I could tell you were a bit upset about life in general when you wrote to me, dear, so I hope that you have be now got things settled & are consequently happier. This war is a damned nuisance – and that’s putting it very mildly!
It's grand, however, Dear, to know that my letters mean so much & help to cheer you up when you’re down in the dumps. As I have so often told you, next to a personal appearance by you, your letters to me are the best method of keeping my spirits high. Without them, I don’t know how I should carry on.
Glad you liked to latest snap. Yes, I suppose I do look different when I haven’t got my “disguise” on, still, so long as you can recognise me when I walk along to meet you for the first time when I get back to England, that’s all that matters – and I don’t think there’s any fear of your not doing so!!
Things still remain quiet in this part of the world, the war has left us far behind. Still, something may happen one of these bright days and we shall be back up to our neck again. Personally I like it when there's a lot of work to do. The time passes more quickly and one hasn’t got too much chance to brood over our being separated.
Nothing more this time, Darling, except the evergreen news that I love you so much. You, Angel, are the one girl for me, my all-in-all. Always you own Stan xxxxxxxx
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.