Thursday, 21 and Friday, 22 September, 1944
G.H.N.
21.9.44 181
My Very Precious Darling,
I have not much news for you but a letter is always welcome, is it not?
Yesterday nothing exciting happened – just the same old routine, and to-day has been very much the same.
I have started reading “The West Wind of Love” but find that an atlas would enable me to follow the story better. As I have not read much of it as yet I can hardly pass an opinion upon it.
Friday 22nd
Did not get this finished last night as I intended doing as the night nurse came on duty.
It is my half-day to-day, so when I have finished this and written home I am going to take a nice hot bath. It is rather a cold, showery sort of day and these bedrooms are neither warm or comfortable. The only two places where one can really get warm in this building are in the bath or in bed.
After tea I shall probably go to the pictures – have not made my mind up yet. Ivy and Kit are off duty this evening so we shall probably go some place together.
The picture “For Whom the Bell Tolls” is coming to Nottingham shortly. I hope that I shall still be here to see it.
I still do a spot of sewing in my spare time and at the moment I am embroidering an etching of Nottm. Castle. I am working it in dark brown upon natural coloured linen. Hope that you will like it Darling but then if you do not we have no need to hang it up.
What do you think about the “demobbing programme” which came out to-day? Most of the men on the ward thought that it was rather good but could not get the sector allowance and leave straightened out and in the end got involved in arguments between themselves.
As I go about the ward I have many an amusing story and argument – of course they do not realise that I can hear most of what they are saying – or they would be a bit more careful.
Au-revoir then my Precious, you have all my love. Now and forever. Your own, Grace xxxxxxx
The embroidery of Nottingham Castle
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.