Wednesday, 13 September, 1944 - Two Letters
G.H.N.
13.9.44 177
My Most Precious Darling,
The A.P.O. is not up to its usual standard this week as it has not delivered as yet, an air-letter from you. A letter from you my Beloved makes all the difference in the world to my day. The sun does not shine for me when there is no letter from you. I do hope that you are keeping well Darling and that there is nothing wrong at all – or that they are not working you too hard.
Here I am, getting queer ideas into my head when I am sure that it is negligence on the A.P.O.’s part. The trouble is that your letters are delivered so regularly that when I am kept waiting I do not like it.
I have very little fresh news for you since I last wrote. We are fairly slack on the ward at the moment. Sister commences the last of this year's holiday on Saturday. It will be just my luck
To: Stan to
get another lot of patients in on Saturday.
From: Ivy Sorry
Darling, but Ivy has seated herself on
With my bed and
her first remark was “Are you
Kindest regards Ivy writing to that man again”!!!
She could not resist the temptation to scrawl a few words
to you herself. She said I had to tell
you that she closed her eyes when she wrote it.
Don’t believe it – do you?
(LIAR!!!) That is also a bit of Ivy’s work!
You really will like Ivy when you meet her. She is simply grand, in spite of the fact that she cannot resist the temptation of writing tripe on other people's letters. She also says I have to tell you that she is 31, has a long nose and wears specs and is otherwise good looking.
Her latest request is that I stop writing about her and write a bit of “love stuff” instead. She says that it is sacrilege that I should waste this precious paper.
I will therefore take her advice Darling and tell you
that I do love you. Yes, I know that you
know it but you see, Precious, I do not intend that you should forget it (knowing
full well of course that you never will).
My heart will always be one big ache until you return to me my
Darling. With my love now and for
ever. Your future wife, Grace xxxxxx
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces
13 Sep. 44. 203.
My Very Own Darling,
Its Naafi Day to-day and so I’ve got my weekly bottle of beer by my side. Two or three of us have been gathered round in a ring gossiping about Unit “Scandal” (Yes, dear I agree that once started we are worse than women!) but I broke out of the circle to write to you, in reply to an air letter posted by you on 7 Sep. I do hope you are getting my letters as quickly as I am getting yours, Darling, because its so nice to have the latest news, isn’t it?
Well, Dear, I should have been very tempted to have said “Yes” to your Mr Allen when he offered the post at his private nursing home to you. He certainly must have had a high opinion of you to ask you & it sounds a very entertaining offer. However, if you had made promises to Kit, you couldn’t very well go back on your word, I quite agree, but you can always console yourself by thinking of all the new experiences you’ll get at Grimsby.
You mention having received letters from John and Janet during the past few days. I, too, received one from Janet by the same mail as your letter. She was writing on behalf of my mother who had apparently to rush to Cottingham to see her Mother the previous day. Grandma, it seems was very weak. I don’t suppose she’ll last much longer. It’s a pity in some ways that the Grand-parents are all passing away whilst I am abroad, but as I hate attending funerals it saves me a lot of unpleasantness.
I’ve just had to break off Darling to do a little job, for besides being “Beer Night” its also bath night for me! I’ve had a most exquisite bath &, having changed into my blue and orange pyjamas*, I’m ready for bed. As I lounged in the hot soapy water, my Precious I thought how divine it would have been if it were our very own bathroom I was in and that you were outside in the kitchen preparing coffee for a pleasant supper in front of our own fire preparatory to going to bed!
Oh, my precious sweetheart, I wish so hard and so often that those happy, happy days would hurry up and materialize. Only then will my happiness be complete, dear, for our marriage and ultimate happiness in life together is my one aim and wish, as I know it is yours.
Its no good trying to frighten me off by threatening to feed me on salads and fruits either, my dear. Between you and me it makes me even more eager, for its my ideal diet for spring and summer. I can see we shan’t spend any time arguing on that score, shall we?
Some bloke on the wireless is singing “Smiling Thro” at the moment &, relaxing for a moment from my letter wiring, it took me back to a Doncaster Cinema about two years ago when the two of us saw the film during one of our leaves.
All sorts of things like that crop up from day to day, Darling to keep your memory so much alive inside me (not that that is at all necessary, Dear. It’s always there without the help of songs & films!)
I love you so much my own precious girl. There’s nothing more I want but you in my arms for ever.
Always you own Stan xxxxxxxx
#lovelettersworldwar2 #1940slovestory #wartimelovestory #loveletters #soldierWWII #Italy1944 #ItalyWW2
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I will post it on the page as soon as possible.