Wednesday, 27 September, 1944

G.H.N.

27.9.44                                                                                                     184

My Very Own Darling,

I suppose that by now you will be back with your own unit and getting down to a spot of work again.

That is the only snag about a leave, it does come to an end some time and then one comes down to earth with a bang and realises that there is work to be done.

I do hope that you feel better for your few days leave and I know that you will have thoroughly enjoyed yourself.

You will be surprised to hear that Kit and I are not going to Grimsby after all.  All their vacancies are filled.  I am absolutely sick of all this messing about.  We had to go to the Appointments Office again yesterday and we have to go yet again to-day.

When we arrived there yesterday we were told that our names had been submitted to Lincoln Isolation Hospital, without so much as by our leaves!  Well, that was the last straw.  I told the woman there that I was disgusted with the whole affair and that I was definitely not going to Lincoln.

Of course if we went just where they cared to put us everything would be all right but where is the freedom for which we are supposed to be fighting?  However, I am going again this afternoon so I will let you know in my next letter what the outcome of this interview is.

I was very sorry to hear from your Mother, Darling, that your Grandmother had died, also that your Father was not so well.  All your ill-luck sems to be coming at once.  I think that what your Father needs is a good long rest.

This last week we have been comparatively slack on the ward but we are expecting to be busy again in the very near future.  We have taken advantage of the lull however, and got a few light cases done off the waiting list.

Well my Darling, it is back on duty I must be getting.  You have as always all my love.  ‘Bye my Precious, Grace  xxxxxxx

 

2364226                                                                  
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

27 Sep. 44.                                                                                     211.

My Most Precious Darling,

The week’s only three days old and yet I’ve had two letters!  That’s just how I like it dear, for life is always much brighter when I’m hearing all about how you are living, feeling and what you are thinking about.

I found the thought of you sitting in a pub knocking back whiskey very amusing, Darling.  I bet you didn’t half pull a nasty face.  I remember you going into the Elephant at Doncaster with Mother and I one night.  Do you?  Personally I don’t think there’s any harm going into a place of that type, but I know you’d argue about that statement.  Still, I don’t make a regular habit of going into public houses with young ladies, so you needn’t get worried.

Another thing which raised a smile was your remark about over-hearing what your soldier-patients talk about.  Knowing soldiers & their subjects, I bet they’ve raised a few blushes on your charming cheeks.  There’s one point though, Darling, it will “broaden” your education, I should imagine, in certain directions!!

Men talk about weird things when they get together, but I have it on good authority that you girls are just as bad.  Am I right?

“For Whom the Bell Tolls” is supposed to be a worthy successor to “Gone with the Wind” so I hope you’ve managed to see it.  I must say, however, that I didn’t think a lot to the book when I read it, but then that’s no criterion, for Hollywood usually carves a book about until its not recognisable.

I’m pleased to hear that you’ve still time to do a spot of sewing.  The etching you are working on sounds quite nice.  In years to come we’ll be able to look up at it and remember all that Nottingham Castle means in our life.

I can’t believe things these days.  They are treating the Army so well that I’m afraid there’ll be a catch in it somewhere!  They’re giving us collars and ties now.  That’ll mean I shall have to get up five minutes earlier to put it on!!

As you can guess I’ve spent the last few days very quietly getting over my hectic week, so I haven’t much to tell you about.

I love you so very very much my Darling.  That’s old news, but its always welcome, isn’t it?  Your my most precious possession, Angel, that is if you don’t mind being “possessed”!

I shall always love you.  Always your own Stan  xxxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters