Wednesday, 6 September, 1944 - Two Letters

2364226
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

6 Sep. 44.                                                                                           200.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

Quite a day today!  Our anniversary and my 200th letter to you.  The APO commemorated it suitably by delivering a letter from you so I am quite happy considering the circumstances; at least as happy as I ever will be until the day when we are together again.

There’s the usual complaint, lack of news, about the only thing I’ve got to write about fresh is the picture I saw last night, a film called “Broadway Rhythm”.  It was one of those Hollywood super spectacle revues, glamour being added by the fact that it is in technicolour.  Well worth seeing.

So you don’t like football, Darling.  Well I promise that I shan’t drag you to any matches.  I have heard it said by real football fans that women should be allowed to go!!  Still, if I want to go to a football match after we are married you can always use the opportunity of my being out of the house to organise a sewing meeting or other type of scandal party!  Ah, ah, I can’t imagine that happening though, unless you’ve changed you’ll never be fond enough of the neighbours for that type of thing.

That’s another side of married life I am looking forward to, Darling.  The thought of coming home from a football match on a wintry afternoon to a blazing fire & after tea, drawing up the settee or a couple of arm chairs, shutting out the wind and the rain & settling down to a cosy evening together, is very pleasant.

Oh, there was one queer happening last night worthy of note.  I walked into the Sgt’s Club in the local town & a bloke came up to me & asked if I used to go to Hemsworth Grammar School & when I said “Yes”, he said “I thought so & your name is Bristow”.  He apparently went to HGS too but three years later than me.  He knew me, but I didn’t know him, but that’s how it is in Sth. Elmsall & South Kirby (where he lives).  Lots of people know me with being a newspaperman, but I don’t actually know them!  It’s a small world, isn’t it, when you run into people like that?

It's only when I think of you, Darling, that the world seems such a big place.  The thousands of miles which separate us seem terrible when you consider them, don’t they?  One of these days however, ……..

Ah me, its my one dream my sweetheart, to be in your arms again to be able to experience all the thrills that you alone can give me and to be able to repay you for the patient way in which you are awaiting for my return.

I love you so much Angel, every little part of you.  Keep loving me Darling.  Your husband-to-be  Stan xxxxxxxx

 

G.H.N

6-9-44                                                                      174.

My Very Own Precious Darling,

My first thought upon waking as each sixth dawns are “Another month passed and another month nearer to seeing you again.”

Since I wrote my last anniversary letter rapid strides have been made towards Victory.  How I hope that everything continues to progress at this pace.  You might be home sooner than you expect then Darling.

This morning Kit and I went out to do a bit of shopping and I ended up with buying myself a new mackintosh.  That means that the first fifteen of my new coupons have gone.  Ah me – this coupon problem!

Yesterday I had a letter from each of the twins.  Janet writes a very good letter now.

Bunny has just walked into my room with a beautiful big juicy pear for me.  Just one moment whilst I dig my teeth into it – yes, it is delicious.

There are lots of apples and pears around now and there has been quite a good supply of plums.  I am sure that if I could choose the meals here I should live on fruit and salads.  Watch out Darling – you see what you will be letting yourself in for when you marry me.

Kit and I went to the pictures last night – the first time I have been for weeks.  We saw “Two Girls and a Sailor”.  It was a light, musical show and rather funny.  We quite enjoyed it.

After making arrangements with Kit to do my Fevers I was offered another post this morning.  I was rather sorry that I had to decline with thanks but I could not let Kit down.

The post was that of a Staff Nurse at a private Nursing Home about five minutes walk away from the hospital and it was offered to me by Mr Allen – the Senior Honorary Surgeon, so really I felt quite honoured.

If only it had been offered to me a week ago I would have accepted it – however, I suppose it is Fate that I should not go there.

All that I really want though Darling is you.  Until we are really in each others arms again – for always, you will still have all my love.  Yours ever, Precious, Grace xxxxxxx


#lovestoryworldwar2  #1940slovestory  #wartimelovestory  #loveletters 

#1940snursinghistory  #nursinghistory  #1940snurse   #nursing1940s    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 27 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Monday, 4 September, 1944 - Two Letters