Friday, 6 October, 1944 - Two Letters

2364226                                                                  
Sergt. S. Bristow
Headquarters
15 L of C Signals
Cen. Med. Forces

6 Oct. 44.                                                                                        215.

Hello, My Own Darling,

The Army Post Office has let me down today.  It's our anniversary day & they haven’t sent me a letter.  Just too bad of them, isn’t it?  I was quite disappointed.  Still, Darling, I know that you will be thinking of me lots and lots to-day so that partially makes up for it.

I’ve been quite worried these last few days for my Mother’s weekly letter was four days overdue and that fact, coupled with you mentioning that Dad was unwell again, made me uneasy.  However, a letter turned up today to say that Dad had been to a specialist’s and there was nothing wrong with him that a good rest couldn’t cure, so I feel a lot easier today.  All the family have gone away for the week, Mother says.

As the weather hasn’t improved much during the last few days I’ve spent my off duty periods lounging around listening to the wireless and alternatively dreaming about you and me and all the things  connected with the two of us and as you yourself know, it’s a happy pastime building castles in the air.  I hope that it won’t be long before those castles begin to be something concrete.

Has the Minister of Labour and his satellites decided what to do with the future Mrs Bristow, by the way, or is the battle still raging?  All the uncertainty of your position at the moment must be very upsetting.  It would be to me.

I do wish the armies would really break through the German defences & make the same cracking pace as they did across France and Belgium.  Then we should begin to see a bit of daylight.  This release racket has given us all something to hope for, but I suppose a lot of us will be disappointed when we find we’re not far enough up the ladder.

I am so very much looking forward to coming home to be with you Darling,  It’s the one thought that’s uppermost in my mind, if not for good, for a period of leave, although once I came home to you I couldn’t bear to be parted from you again.  These last months have been bad enough.  I don’t want a repeat dose!

You are everything to me Darling.  Your future husband, Stan xxxxxx

 

G.H.N.

6.10.44                                                                     189

My Very Precious Darling,

Two years and eight months by the day as well as the date, since our first meeting!  Over half that time too Darling thousands of miles of land and sea has separated us but the lamp of love between us burns stronger than ever.

My Darling, what you have come to mean to me during that time I will never be able to tell you through the medium of my pen.  One day I hope to be able to tell you and show you just how much you mean to me.  May that happy day be not so very far away.

To make our anniversary day as perfect as it is possible for it to be under the circumstances I received an air-letter from you by this afternoon’s post.  You had written it on Oct 1st.

In it Dear, you asked me if I had any idea how much money we shall need to set up home together.  I am afraid that I have not.  With prices as they are it will be a difficult task.  However, Darling, it doesn’t really matter how little we have to start with.  There will be all our love in that little home and that is more important, isn’t it?

Did you ever see any of the utility furniture before you went abroad?  I am afraid that it is not up to much.  I can see that we shall have to go hunting around the second-hand shops to see if we can find any good bargains.  What do you think?

By the way, I had a letter from the Kendray Hospital, Barnsley to-day.

The Matron wants me to arrange an interview.  I will keep you informed of any new developments.  If I do go there it will be very convenient for getting home and I have heard that it is supposed to be a good hospital.

I had to smile at a remark in your letter.  You wondered if your tachycardia would be up to our first meeting.

If I remember rightly your Cardio-vascular (work that out yourself) system can stand almost any strain in that direction so I think that it will stand that very important occasion, don’t you?

Ah me, the end of a letter again so it will have to be Good-night, Precious, and very happy dreams.  My love for all time.  Yours, Grace.  xxxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 20 August, 1944 - Two Letters

Air Letters, Sea Letters, Air Mail forms and 'Airgraphs'

Thursday, 6 January, 1943